Forum archive 2000-2006

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - Student comments about WeBWorK+Moodle

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - Student comments about WeBWorK+Moodle

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicStudent comments about WeBWorK+Moodle topic started 6/19/2003; 3:54:19 PM
last post 6/19/2003; 3:54:19 PM
userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Student comments about WeBWorK+Moodle  blueArrow
6/19/2003; 3:54:19 PM (reads: 623, responses: 0)
I've gotten back written comments from student evaluations concerning WeBWorK+Moodle. There were 18 positive responses, 6 ambivalent responses and 8 negative responses. Of the negative responses, 2 were positive about the Moodle aspect. [There were no negative responses about Moodle per se.] You can access the actual responses at the following link: http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~fiedorow/math152/Questionnaire.html

Since this was a comparatively weak class, my experience with WeBWorK alone would have led me to expect something along the lines of 1/3 pro, 1/3 neutral, 1/3 anti.

The negative comments were along the lines of frustration with syntax and that the problems were too difficult. One notable difference with my previous experience was that there were no complaints along the lines that WeBWorK problems were completely different from book problems, lectures, exams, etc.

This accords with my experience with talking to students during office hours. When using WeBWorK alone, some students, particularly the weaker ones, somehow form the impression that WWK is an alien graft which is distinct from the rest of the course. My strong sense is that using Moodle in tandem with WeBWorK considerably reduces this problem.

Zig

[For those of you who are new to this discussion list, Moodle is class management software (like WebCT or Blackboard, except that it is open source). I've developed scripts which allow Moodle to be used as a front end to WeBWorK. My integral calculus class using this combo can be accessed at https://webwork.math.ohio-state.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=3 Click on the "login as a guest" button. You can find more discussion about this topic in the March archives of this discussion list.]

<| Post or View Comments |>