Forum archive 2000-2006

Thomas R. Shemanske - WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian

Thomas R. Shemanske - WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWeBWorK 1.9 and Debian topic started 8/1/2003; 12:00:19 PM
last post 8/2/2003; 3:30:36 PM
userThomas R. Shemanske - WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian  blueArrow
8/1/2003; 12:00:19 PM (reads: 1428, responses: 4)
There is a slight incompatiblity with WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian's stable distribution woody. Woody uses perl 5.6.1 which (at least in Debian's distribution) does not include the Timing:HiRes module and shared object. In particular, this means you can't view any problems or print hard copies.

Sadly, copying the the HiRes files from a newer Debian distribution does not work as the .so files are not compatible; (there is also a libc upgrade which takes place in going from woody to sarge, the testing distribution).

I realize I could have compiled a local version of perl, but chose not to, which hopefully will not come back to bite me. Instead I upgraded perl via debian's package management system to the version in the testing distribution.

Just for debian users' information, upgrading perl to 5.8.0 changes about 20 packages including an upgrade of libc from 2.2.5 to 2.3.1.

Tom

<| Post or View Comments |>

userThomas R. Shemanske - Re: WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian  blueArrow
8/1/2003; 2:38:40 PM (reads: 1689, responses: 0)
Duh!

Should have read Arnie's note from a few days earlier

T

userThomas R. Shemanske - Re: WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian  blueArrow
8/1/2003; 4:20:34 PM (reads: 1664, responses: 0)
Victor Brunsden informed me that on woody the Time::HiRes modules are in the debian package libtime-hires-perl. And BTW, my first note should have said Time::HiRes, not Timing.

On sarge (and sid) systems, the modules are part of perl.

T

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian  blueArrow
8/1/2003; 4:35:00 PM (reads: 1686, responses: 0)
Currently WelcomeAction.pl in .../system/cgi/cgi-scripts/ is the only WeBWorK 1.9 script using Time::HiRes and in the distribution, HiRes timing is turned off (line 22:$main::timingON=0;). Time::HiRes is used more extensively in WeBWorK 2 (the mod_perl distribution).

Thus if people have trouble installing Time::HiRes, you can safely I think just comment out line 20: # use WeBWorK::Timing;

I'm not sure I would recommend this, but it should work.

Arnie

userLars Jensen - Re: WeBWorK 1.9 and Debian  blueArrow
8/2/2003; 3:30:36 PM (reads: 1699, responses: 0)
We run webwork on a Debian woody system, and I installed libtime-hires-perl before installing v. 1.9. We haven't noticed any problems at all.

Lars.