Forum archive 2000-2006

Jun Wang - dvipng trouble.

Jun Wang - dvipng trouble.

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicdvipng trouble. topic started 8/17/2003; 6:29:38 PM
last post 8/18/2003; 11:52:14 AM
userJun Wang - dvipng trouble.  blueArrow
8/17/2003; 6:29:38 PM (reads: 1458, responses: 4)
Hi,

We upgraded webwork system to version 1.9 and installed dvipng-0.3.tar.gz, following the instruction given in the inatallation file. (When I tried to install dvipng-0.5, I got an error saying:

/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `preview-latex.info*': No such file or directory make: [install-docs] Error 1

However, with exactly the same steps I installed dvipng-0.3. I remember that I installed GD.pm-1.43 and gd-1.8.4)

But, in WeBWorK typeset2 mode, there are pinksheets with error message:

Compiler warnings: * /usr/bin/dvipng -x4000 -bgTransparent -Q6 -mode toshiba -D180 professor-prob13image.dvi >>/dev/null 2>>/dev/null -- FAILED in ImageGenerator.pm returned 35584 at /usr/local/webwork/system/lib//ImageGenerator.pm line 192. ##More details: -------- ImageGenerator::render called at processProblem8.pl line 470

-----------------------------------

Does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks a lot.

Jun

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJun Wang - Re: dvipng trouble.  blueArrow
8/18/2003; 8:00:35 AM (reads: 1663, responses: 0)
I tested dvipng by running the shell command

dvipng test.dvi

and it gave the error message

This is dvipng 0.3 Copyright 2002-2003 Jan-Åke Larsson [1libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.4 libpng warning: Application is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.12 gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library Segmentation fault.

Does this mean we need to install libpng-1.2.4?

Thanks,

Jun

userJohn Jones - Re: dvipng trouble.  blueArrow
8/18/2003; 10:34:49 AM (reads: 1666, responses: 0)
Hi Jun,

The first error in the install process is nothing to worry about. It is a bug in the make install process, but it only comes after dvipng is installed.

The real problem is likely what you mention in the second post. dvipng uses the library libpng. It seems to have found a header file from one version of libpng and an executable from another. I would install libpng-1.2.4. It is possible this will lead to needing to recompile libgd as well.

John

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: dvipng trouble.  blueArrow
8/18/2003; 10:35:49 AM (reads: 1657, responses: 0)
It looks like you might have several versions of libpng installed on your server. Go to /usr/lib (or wherever your main libraries are installed) and do

ls -l libpng*

You will probably see a symbolic link libpng.so pointing to something like libpng.so.1.0.12. If there is also a libpng.so.1.2.4 (or something similar), try removing that symbolic link and making a new one pointing to the newer library:

rm libpng.so
ln -s libpng.so.1.2.4 libpng.so

If you don't have a libpng.so.1.2.4 (or later), then your best bet would be to install libpng-1.2.4 (or later)

userJun Wang - Re: dvipng trouble.  blueArrow
8/18/2003; 11:52:14 AM (reads: 1656, responses: 0)
Hi, John and Zig, Thank you!

Inside /usr/lib we have a copy of libpng-1.0.12 and inside /usr/local/lib we have a copy of libpng-1.2.4. I linked libpng.so in usr/lib to libpng.so.1.2.4 in usr/local/lib. The problem is now resolved. Thank you so much for being here.

Jun