WeBWorK Main Forum

Is anyone using WebWorK in an independent study course?

Is anyone using WebWorK in an independent study course?

by Steven McKay -
Number of replies: 2
As the time for completion of my independent study course nears, I have unanswered questions about the use of webwork in the course. Specifically, being able to manage open and closing dates for students whose work spans over the course of an entire year. Right now, the only thing I can figure out to do is to have the TA enter dates for the student when he/she enters the course. I can set the closing date for 1 year from the time the student enters, so the student should have no difficulty in accessing the work.

This is tedious for the TA, however. Is there a way to disable the open and close dates for a homework set? Or is there a better way to handle this? Or do I give up and go to Webassign?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

In reply to Steven McKay

Re: Is anyone using WebWorK in an independent study course?

by Michael Gage -
I'm not sure I understand the parameters of your problem. You can set the open date to the beginning of the semester (or year) and the end date to the end of the semester (or year) in the set definition file -- this effectively disables the open/close dates.

Simply set the dates you want for a given homework set and then "export" the set. The next time you build a set from the set definition files the dates will reflect the ones you exported. You can set the open date 10 years ago and the close date 10 years in the future which essentially disables the date mechanism.

Does this help? I may not have understood the problem.

-- Mike
In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Is anyone using WebWorK in an independent study course?

by Steven McKay -
Thank you.
I can do that, (setting the set date several years in advance) but knowing myself, when the due date comes up, I'll forget to reset it. I would rather have a "set it and forget it mode", since this course will be in place for several years.
That's why I asked if there was a way to just have the set open. The way you suggested, while not perfect, will certainly work. I just hoped there was an easier way.

Thanks for your help.