Forum archive 2000-2006

Jeff Denny - E-mail problems

Jeff Denny - E-mail problems

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicE-mail problems topic started 9/3/2003; 4:23:17 PM
last post 9/4/2003; 11:04:35 AM
userJeff Denny - E-mail problems  blueArrow
9/3/2003; 4:23:17 PM (reads: 901, responses: 2)
We have recently set up WebWork 1.8 here and are now having e-mail problems with one of our courses (but not the other). In the offending course, we get the following error when attempting to send e-mail to anyone in the course:

-------------------

Your message has been sent to 0 users. However, emails were not sent to the following 1 users:

The format below is "FirstName LastName <EmailAddress>" The following have a bad email address

example1 example <example@mercer.edu> -------------------

I've seen this problem in another posting to this discussion group, but there didn't appear to be any solution suggested. Does anyone have a solution now?

Thank you in advance!

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: E-mail problems  blueArrow
9/4/2003; 10:25:08 AM (reads: 1137, responses: 0)

Hi Denny,

I'm don't really have a guess as to what's the trouble.  If it works in one course, the WeBWorK system must be set up correctly.  Try doing a diff on the webworkCourse.ph files for the two courses and see if anything stands out.

Maybe the $legalAddress or $smtpServer from Global.pm got redefined (but this would be a strange thing to do).  I'm not sure what your mail server does is  $Global::smtpSender is invalid.

Arnie

userJeff Denny - Re: E-mail problems  blueArrow
9/4/2003; 11:04:35 AM (reads: 1127, responses: 0)
Arnie, Thank you for your help! The environment variable $Global::smtpSender was set to a user id and not to a complete e-mail address. Not sure why this happened, but I've got it fixed now and e-mail is working!

Thanks again!

Jeff