Forum archive 2000-2006

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - Anticipating security issues with WW problem library

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - Anticipating security issues with WW problem library

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicAnticipating security issues with WW problem library topic started 9/12/2003; 10:16:19 PM
last post 9/12/2003; 10:16:19 PM
userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Anticipating security issues with WW problem library  blueArrow
9/12/2003; 10:16:19 PM (reads: 561, responses: 0)

The recent post by "Anarchy Tea" reminded me about a problem which was in the back of my mind some time ago. It seems that there are a number of students who have registered at Mike's web site and some of them have been downloading WeBWorK and/or the WeBWorK problem library.

It is very unlikely that any significant number of them have the technical skills to use this to cheat on their WeBWorK assignments.  However at some point there may be someone with technical skills who might go into the business of creating software or a web site which would automatically provide answers to students on their WeBWorK assignments. At this point, this is probably not cost effective and would be hampered by the somewhat chaotic nature of the WeBWorK problem library, with different versions of various problems floating around.

However this could change if the ideas about systematizing the library, which Bill, John and Jeffrey talked about at Mathfest come to fruition. So I think it might be worthwhile to give some thought to anticipating such possible security issues.

Zig

<| Post or View Comments |>