Forum archive 2000-2006

Danny Glin - Recording all student answers

Danny Glin - Recording all student answers

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicRecording all student answers topic started 11/29/2003; 6:17:42 PM
last post 11/30/2003; 10:43:55 PM
userDanny Glin - Recording all student answers  blueArrow
11/29/2003; 6:17:42 PM (reads: 717, responses: 2)
Howdy,
We've been running webwork at University of Calgary for a couple of years now, and a couple of out professors have asked about the following:  Students have made several attempts at a given question, and not got the correct answer.  They speak to the professor, who explains the correct answer, then they claim that they had already tried that.  Unfortunately the professor is only able to access the student's best attempt.
What I'm wondering is, does the system log all of the students attempts at a question, or does it only remember their best answers?  If not, has anyone made any modifications which allow the professor to see all attempts that a student has submitted?
Thanx,
Danny Glin

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Recording all student answers  blueArrow
11/30/2003; 8:32:42 AM (reads: 921, responses: 1)

Hi Danny,

If you are using WeBWorK 1.9, when viewing a studnet's question, just click on "Show Past Answers" and you will see all the student's past answers to that question.  This is by far the easiest way to do what you want.

In all versions of WeBWorK, if you have turned on the access log, then every input the student makes is saved (exccept their password) but there is so much data that this is not very convenient to use.  Bill Ziemer I believe write some scripts that make it easier to get data out of the access log.

Arnie

userBill Ziemer - Re: Recording all student answers  blueArrow
11/30/2003; 10:43:55 PM (reads: 1114, responses: 0)
I wrote a script to extract that information from the access log. (more useful pre-1.9)
Input: studnet name, course (optional: set and problem)
Output: all access log entries that match (converted to human readable)
Download at http://www.csulb.edu/~wziemer
and click on Webwork Utilities near the bottom of the page.
--Bill