Forum archive 2000-2006

Mark Schmitt - Setting Display Mode inside a problem

Mark Schmitt - Setting Display Mode inside a problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicSetting Display Mode inside a problem topic started 12/2/2003; 1:28:34 PM
last post 12/2/2003; 1:49:47 PM
userMark Schmitt - Setting Display Mode inside a problem  blueArrow
12/2/2003; 1:28:34 PM (reads: 735, responses: 2)
   I have been aware for a while that some problems, most notably matrix problems with answer blanks in a matrix, require the use of formatted text mode, as opposed to typeset2 mode.  Some problems put a disclaimer in about this, but I know in many that I have written, I haven't done that (I will work on fixing that).

I think it would be nice, for problems like these, to be able to set the displaymode for a problem inside the pg file.  This has only become an issue since people started using typeset2 more often, and many are now using it as a default.  I  think it will make it easier on students and faculty alike to make this happen "behind the curtain" so to speak.

If anyone has any ideas on how best to implement this, they would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Setting Display Mode inside a problem  blueArrow
12/2/2003; 1:49:05 PM (reads: 914, responses: 0)
Hi Mark, Set $displayMode = 'HTML_tth' before PGbasicmacros.pl is loaded. I haven't checked all cases, but I think this will work:

$displayMode = "HTML_tth";
loadMacros(
PG.pl,
PGbasicmacros.pl,
PGchoicemacros.pl,
PGanswermacros.pl,
PGauxiliaryFunctions.pl
);

Also check out the display_matrix macros that John Jones has written. Some of them will allow display of matrices with answer blanks even in typeset2 mode.

--Mike

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Setting Display Mode inside a problem  blueArrow
12/2/2003; 1:49:47 PM (reads: 921, responses: 0)

Hi Mark,

The current versions of these problems can be used with typeset2 mode.  Many (hopefully all) of these problems in the Rochester Library have been edited to work with typeset2 mode.  For example look at SetDiffEQ13Systems, LinearAlgebra4InverseMatrix and/or  LinearAlgebra5LUfactorization in http://webwork.math.rochester.edu/WW_Prob_Lib_CVS/ 

Arnie