Forum archive 2000-2006

Andras Balogh - including external scores

Andras Balogh - including external scores

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicincluding external scores topic started 2/22/2004; 7:21:09 PM
last post 9/13/2005; 6:50:58 PM
userAndras Balogh - including external scores  blueArrow
2/22/2004; 7:21:09 PM (reads: 1265, responses: 6)
I would like to keep all the students scores in WebWork,
even the ones obtained on in class exams.
I can add columns to the totals.csv file, but they don't  show up
in the statistics and in the progress reports.
Is there a way to let students view these additional grades in their summary?
If not, what is the use of adding new columns to the totals.csv file?
(I am using V. 1.9)

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: including external scores  blueArrow
2/22/2004; 7:36:01 PM (reads: 1473, responses: 0)

Hi Andras,

There are two main reasons for adding data, e.g. exam scores or term letter grades, to the totals file.

1. One is that is it easy to email students telling them their individual grades (just merge the totals file with email).   This is sosmething we do on a regular basis.

2. The second is that the totals.csv file is a standard spreedsheet file so that you can download it to e.g. Excel, manipulate any way to want (e.g. to compute term letter grades), then upload it back to WeBWorK and email students their grades. 

The totals.csv file is like your grade book.  There may be information in there you don't want students to see, e.g. intermediate calculations or comments.

Arnie

userAndras Balogh - Re: including external scores  blueArrow
2/23/2004; 9:13:56 AM (reads: 1451, responses: 0)
I still prefer posting some/all grades from offline tests
instead of emailing whenever a student wishes to see all of his/her grade.

Is there a possibility in WebWork for creating an empty homework
and grade it manually for that purpose?

Andras

userMichael Gage - Re: including external scores  blueArrow
2/23/2004; 10:48:22 AM (reads: 1460, responses: 0)
Hi,

Using an empty homework is possible and rather clever -- you would need to create a particular problem to be graded that only the instructor could answer. In the long run however it's probably an unnecessarily baroque solution.

I've posted your remarks as a feature request to the webwork2.0 bugzilla board. I think that it is quite likely that we can make this feature cleanly available to installations using an SQL database. With the GDBM database it is not as easy to add new fields at will.

Currently all of the scoring data is held in text files while the homework statistics are held in the GDBM (or SQL) database. We are trying to move to a data model where everything is held in a single SQL database -- at that point your request will be easy to grant. We may even be able to realize that before then.

The feature you mention is one that I've wanted from time to time myself and I think we're getting closer to the time when we can implement.

Thanks for your comments -- it helps a great deal to know which features are most important to people using the software.

--Mike

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: including external scores  blueArrow
2/24/2004; 11:58:56 AM (reads: 1434, responses: 0)

Hi Andras,

As Mike says, your idea of using a special homework assignment is very clever. It's also easy to accomplish (at least for a small class). Here is what to do if you want to report to the students their scores on individual problems (if you just want to report the total score on the exam, just use one problem). I'll assume the exam had three problems worth 20, 30 and 50 points

First create a set definitions file, e.g.:

setNumber= Exam1
openDate = 02/23/04 at 8:00 am
dueDate = 02/23/04 at 8:00 am
answerDate = 02/23/04 at 8:00 am
#paperHeaderFile = setExam1/paperHeaderFile.pg
#screenHeaderFile = setExam1/screenHeaderFile.pg
problemList =
setExam1/question1.pg, 20
setExam1/question2.pg, 30
setExam1/question3.pg, 50

Note that the open, due, and answer dates are all the same, e.g. the day and time of the exam. Now here is question1.pg

##DESCRIPTION
##KEYWORDS('dummy question')
##The only purpose of this problem is to report scores
##ENDDESCRIPTION
DOCUMENT(); # This should be the first executable line in the problem.
loadMacros(
PG.pl,
PGbasicmacros.pl,
);
TEXT(&beginproblem);
BEGIN_TEXT
This is a dummy question which is being used to report your score on question 1
on the exam.
END_TEXT
ENDDOCUMENT(); # This should be the last executable line in the problem.

You can use the same file for all questions if you don't want to mention the question number in the problem in which case you need to slightly modify the set definition file above. Then build the set. Now go to the Prof page and select Modify Problem Set for Student. For each problem fill in a 1 under "Attempted" and the fraction correct (a number bewteen 0 and 1) under "Frac Corr". For example using our example if a student got 17, 25, and 40 points on the three problems, fill in .85, .8333, and .8 . If it is a big class you can fill in the 1 under "Attempted" for everyone at once by selecting Modify Whole Problem Set on the Prof Page.

Hope this helps, Arnie

3/9/2004; 8:58:07 PM (reads: 1434, responses: 0)
Arnie and Mike,

Finally I got time to try your recommendation.
It works just fine. Thank you very much for the help.

Andras

9/13/2005; 6:50:58 PM (reads: 756, responses: 0)
Arnie and Mike,

Is there an update to this feature request?

I just installed WeBWorK 2, and can't find a new solution to including external grades.

Andras