Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - using ww1 course in ww2

John Jones - using ww1 course in ww2

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicusing ww1 course in ww2 topic started 4/2/2004; 6:54:05 PM
last post 4/4/2004; 1:16:49 PM
userJohn Jones - using ww1 course in ww2  blueArrow
4/2/2004; 6:54:05 PM (reads: 1148, responses: 6)
The old thread was getting crowded with different issues.

I just tried copying a course which is running under ww1 to the new ww2 installation by tarring it up, then untarring it in the new location.  When I try to login, I get an error

Error message

addKey: key exists (perhaps you meant to use putKey?) at /ud/webwork/ww2/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm line 366

<!--

Call stack

--> I looked at that line of code and it does call addKey in a part which seems to think my password was correct.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: using ww1 course in ww2  blueArrow
4/3/2004; 2:03:17 AM (reads: 1356, responses: 0)
John,

Looks like we have bad error checking in this situation. Can you add the following before that line, and post the result?

warn "deleteKey($user) threw an exception: $@" if $@;

This should tell us if deleteKey is failing, which would cause addKey to then fail. I suspect a problem with permissions on the keys database -- line 366 is the first time in the request process that the database is modified.
-sam

userJohn Jones - Re: using ww1 course in ww2  blueArrow
4/3/2004; 9:43:42 AM (reads: 1332, responses: 0)
That was it, it said there was a permission problem with the keys file.  I changed the permissions, and that fixed it.  Thanks.

John

4/3/2004; 5:32:28 PM (reads: 1324, responses: 0)
Here are more questions about ww2:
  1. A good feature (IMHO) of ww1 was that every page showed the time it was generated.  I don't see that on the ww2 pages.  It seems that this is something which should be controlled through the template, provided there are hooks for putting the date somewhere in the template.  Is there a mechanism for this yet?
  2. Another good feature was viewing past submissions.  I see the button for it in ww2, but it isn't showing me any answers.  I look at the same student/problem set/problem number through ww1 and I do get past answers from the answer log.  Is this still in development for ww2?
John

userMichael Gage - Re: using ww1 course in ww2  blueArrow
4/4/2004; 10:53:52 AM (reads: 1308, responses: 0)
The timestamp feature is one that can be added, one adds a call in the template (#timestamp#) and a method to ContentGenerator.pm

sub timestamp {
my $self = shift;
}

I've submitted this as a bug (feature request) using the "report bugs" link.

The answer log is supposed to work in WW2.0 exactly as it does in WW1.9.

I've made some changes recently in how the arguments are passed in to the ShowAnswers.pm. You might update from the CVS and see if that fixes the problems you've noticed. I haven't been able to reproduce them here.

I've reported this to the bug list also, although I think it is fixed. If you continue to get errors you should use the "report bugs" link to describe the problem -- then we'll have a record in the bug list and will get to it as soon as we can.

--Mike

4/4/2004; 11:29:37 AM (reads: 1314, responses: 0)
I updated from CVS and showAnswers now works fine.

John

4/4/2004; 1:16:49 PM (reads: 1315, responses: 0)
Creating the method for a timestamp in templates sounded simple enough, so I implemented it and uploaded it to cvs.

John