Forum archive 2000-2006

Inho Choi - Webwork Installation Problems

Inho Choi - Webwork Installation Problems

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWebwork Installation Problems topic started 6/10/2004; 6:00:25 AM
last post 7/12/2004; 9:23:50 AM
userInho Choi - Webwork Installation Problems  blueArrow
6/10/2004; 6:00:25 AM (reads: 2031, responses: 9)
Hi.
Is there any one knows about how I can fix Apache configuration?
I got the error message "Systex error on line 1070 of /conf/httpd perl not allowed here [FAILED]
And I look at the line 1070, it is
   <Perl>
      use lib "/opt/webwork2/lib";
      use lib "/opt/pg/lib";
   </Perl>

And on the web "SystemConfig" section it talks about it but not sure what I am suppose to do for this problem.
Is there any one who having the same problem? Or had solved?

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: Webwork Installation Problems  blueArrow
6/10/2004; 11:37:10 AM (reads: 2295, responses: 0)
Your installation of mod_perl is not allowing the <Perl> section. You must compile mod_perl with PERL_SECTIONS enabled.

If this is not an option, create a file called webwork_startup.pl and put the "use lib" lines in that file. Then, replace the <Perl> section in the main config file with:

PerlRequire "/path/to/webwork_startup.pl"

What operating system (and distribution, if applicable) are you using? Did you compile mod_perl yourself, or use a packaged version?

userInho Choi - Re: Webwork Installation Problems  blueArrow
6/11/2004; 3:25:27 AM (reads: 2284, responses: 0)
Thank you for your advise.
I will try that.
By the way do you have any sample startup.pl?
If you have, do you mind to share it with others. It seems I am not the only one who needs to solve the problem.

I am using Fedora Core 2 and it is rpm package.
I tried both, compile and package, but it didn't work well.
I didn't try what you said, so I will try, and let others know.

Thank you.

6/13/2004; 3:53:31 PM (reads: 2221, responses: 0)
Here is a sample webwork_startup.pl:

# startup script, to be used in place of <Perl> section
# in Apache config file. replace <Perl> section with:
#
# PerlRequire /path/to/webwork_startup.pl
#
use lib "/opt/webwork2/lib";
use lib "/opt/pg/lib";
#
# if webwork2 and pg are not installed in /opt, change
# the above paths to reflect the actual locations.

I will add this to the installation documentation.

6/15/2004; 2:20:11 AM (reads: 2230, responses: 0)
Thank you for your help.

I did what you have advised me, but the Apache doesn't like "PerlRequire".
It is the exactly the same error that I have faced before.

Systax error on line 1083 of /xxx/xxx/httpd.conf
PerlRequire not allowed here.

Now what am I supposed to do?
Any idea?

6/15/2004; 10:31:10 AM (reads: 2211, responses: 0)
First, please make sure that mod_perl is loaded. To do so, follow our ApacheSetup instructions:

To test your mod_perl installation, enable the following stanza in your httpd.conf file:

<Location /server-info>
SetHandler server-info
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from .yourschool.edu
</Location>

Then, visit http://yourserver.yourschool.edu/server-info. You should see an entry in the list of modules for mod_perl.

If that doesn't work, then mod_perl is not properly installed.

I need to know how mod_perl is compiled to understand your problem. One way to find out is to add the following stanza to your httpd.conf file:

<Location /perl-status>
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::Status
</Location>

Then send me the output of http://yourserver.yourschool.edu/perl-status?hooks

6/15/2004; 7:09:13 PM (reads: 2237, responses: 0)
Thank you so much for your help. First, here is the outpur of /server-info

----Beginning of Output -----------

Apache Server Information

Server Settings, mod_ssl.c, mod_python.c, sapi_apache2.c, mod_perl.c, mod_cgi.c, ... there are more. Clearly mod_perl.c is running. ----End of Output----------------------

And,

----Beginning of Output -----------

Module Name: mod_perl.c Content handlers: yes Configuration Phase Participation: Create Directory Config, Merge Directory Configs, Create Server Config, Merge Server Configs Request Phase Participation: Post-Read Request, Header Parse, Translate Path, Check Access, Verify User ID, Verify User Access, Check Type, Fixups, Logging

----End of Output----------------------

Second, /perl-status

Embedded Perl version v5.8.3 for Apache/2.0.49 (Fedora) process 2786, running since Tue Jun 15 16:02:59 2004

The output of perl-status?hooks is following. ----Beginning of Output -----------

Embedded Perl version v5.8.3 for Apache/2.0.49 (Fedora) process 2787, running since Tue Jun 15 16:02:59 2004 OK

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

----End of Output----------------------

But still "PerlRequire" is not allowed. Thank you for your help.

6/16/2004; 12:50:56 AM (reads: 2220, responses: 0)
It looks like Apache::Status is running into an error when trying to display the list of hooks. Please send any error_log output generated with loading /perl-status?hooks.

Thanks. -sam

6/16/2004; 4:14:51 PM (reads: 2351, responses: 0)
Thank you for your help.

Here is the apache error_log. This log contains three request. apachect stop, apachectl start, and /perl-status?hooks.

----Beginning of log----------

[Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] LDAP: Built with OpenLDAP LDAP SDK [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] LDAP: SSL support unavailable [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec) [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ... [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] Digest: done [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] LDAP: Built with OpenLDAP LDAP SDK [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] LDAP: SSL support unavailable [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] mod_python: Creating 32 session mutexes based on 150 max processes and 0 max threads. [Wed Jun 16 13:07:34 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.49 (Fedora) configured -- resuming normal operations [Wed Jun 16 13:07:39 2004] [error] [client 130.212.228.112] Can't locate mod_perl_hooks.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl . /etc/httpd/ /etc/httpd/lib/perl) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/Status.pm line 207.n ---------End of log--------------

And here is the Statu -----Beginning of ststus.pm---------

sub status_hooks { my($r, $q) = @_; # XXX: hooks list access doesn't exist yet in 2.0 require mod_perl; require mod_perl_hooks; my @retval = qw(); my @list = mod_perl::hooks(); for my $hook (sort @list) { my $on_off = mod_perl::hook($hook) ? "Enabled" : "Disabled"; push @retval, "n"; } push @retval, qw(

$hook$on_off
); @retval; } s.pm file where the error takes place. ---------End of log--------------

require mod_perl_hooks; is the line 207.

Why does it make an error?

Thank you again for your help.

7/12/2004; 9:23:50 AM (reads: 2129, responses: 0)
Looks like I forgot to ask earlier. Is this mod_perl 1 or mod_perl 2? WeBWorK doesn't yet support Apache/mod_perl 2. Efforts are underway to make it compatible.