Forum archive 2000-2006

Andrew - Problem Library?

Andrew - Problem Library?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicProblem Library? topic started 6/17/2004; 2:17:16 PM
last post 6/22/2004; 2:29:00 PM
userAndrew - Problem Library?  blueArrow
6/17/2004; 2:17:16 PM (reads: 1203, responses: 5)
Hey guys-

I was wondering what method you guys used to populate the problem library sql database.

Thanks in advance- Andrew

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Problem Library?  blueArrow
6/17/2004; 7:43:57 PM (reads: 1403, responses: 0)
Hi Andrew,

The "meta-data" is put inside the .pg files themselves in special comments. This information is put there by hand by the problem tagging crew. The installation instructions have you run a script which goes through all of the files and inserts the data into the mysql database.

I hope people realize that much of the problem library infrastructure is currently in version 0.0001. Some things are likely to change at the next version. The basic method outlined above will be the same, but it will encompass more of the tagging information. On the whole, this should be an improvement done in a backward compatible way. But, there is still a chance that we will not be entirely backward compatible at some stage.

Why do you ask?

John

userAndrew - Re: Problem Library?  blueArrow
6/18/2004; 12:55:33 PM (reads: 1433, responses: 0)
John-

Which installation instructions are you referring to? The instructions in the wiki doesn't have a problem library installation step.

Additionally, I can't find the tool I'm supposed to use to load the problem library into the SQL database (I've recently installed pg, webwork-modperl and rochester_problib from cvs)

Are the tools/documentation stored elsewhere?

Thanks- Andrew

6/18/2004; 4:27:38 PM (reads: 1414, responses: 1)
Hi Andrew,

Yes, all of the problem library parts are stored elsewhere. It is so preliminary, that it is not mentioned yet in the wiki.

http://hobbes.la.asu.edu/webwork-stuff

You will find instructions, and a copy of the library problems thus far, and scripts for loading it into a mysql database. It does not yet have the Rochester problems. We are working on that.

Note, you can browser problems from the rochester collection (or any other collection), by making symbolic links from the templates directory of a course to the top of the directory tree for those problems. For example, from the templates directory,

ln -s /path/to/problems/rochester_problib Rochester
Then in SetMaker, you will see the directories in a drop down list under Local Problems (when the top middle button Browse Local Problems has been selected, which is the default). If you use the command above, the Rochester ones will look like Rochester/setAlgebra10Intervals.

John

userAndrew - Re: Problem Library?  blueArrow
6/22/2004; 12:04:50 PM (reads: 1652, responses: 0)
John,

Thanks for your help, I got it working. Although, it seems that the loadDB script is referencing a different configuration file format (I'm using the CVS version of webwork). It makes since though since the problem library is in a state of flux at the moment. Also, the redodb script might be modified to use the webworkWrite username defined in databases.conf (we use a different username than default)

At any rate, the problem library is rockin, all is good with the world.

Thanks- Andrew

6/22/2004; 2:29:00 PM (reads: 1406, responses: 0)
Thanks Andrew,

These things are on the list to be updated in the next main revision of loadDB and redodb.

John