Forum archive 2000-2006

Bob Byerly - Preview release 4

Bob Byerly - Preview release 4

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicPreview release 4 topic started 6/24/2004; 4:11:00 PM
last post 6/29/2004; 10:39:01 AM
userBob Byerly - Preview release 4  blueArrow
6/24/2004; 4:11:00 PM (reads: 943, responses: 2)
Hi, I never have successfully gotten preview release 4 working with SQL. For example, when I try the instructions for creating the admin course: bin/addcourse --db-layout=sql --sql-user=root --sql-pass="gloop" --sql-db=webwork_admin --sql-wwhost=localhost --users=courses/adminClasslist.lst --professors=admin admin

I get an error message: ERROR 1075 at line 21: Incorrect table definition; There can only be one auto column and it must be defined as a key DBI connect('ProblemLibrary','webworkRead',...) failed: Access denied for user: 'webworkRead@localhost' to database 'ProblemLibrary' at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Driver/SQL.pm line 39 error instantiating DB schema WeBWorK::DB::Schema::SQL for table problem_library_classify: Can't call method "STYLE" without a package or object reference at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema.pm line 81. at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils/CourseManagement.pm line 161

I have tried this on Mandrake 9.2 and 10. Perl version 5.8.3, MySQL version 4.0.18. Preview release 3 works fine.

In addition, there are some permission problems. addcourse does not give write access to group on some directories.

Thanks, Bob Byerly

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Preview release 4  blueArrow
6/26/2004; 12:15:41 PM (reads: 1176, responses: 0)
Integration of the problem library and pre-release 4 was broken. It would only work if you have the alpha version of the problem library installed.

My recommendation would be to skip preview release 4 and get the current cvs version. It has many refinements, and it works without installing mysql based problem library (working is always a good feature). Even though cvs is by definition in flux, I haven't seen any changes which leave it even temporarily broken. I think it is currently less buggy than preview 3 or 4.

A second option is to wait for the next release, which should be soon.

The third option is to install the problem library from

http://hobbes.la.asu.edu/webwork-stuff

Part of the instructions involve adding a database to mysql and giving webwork permission to read from it (which is the cause of the error message above).

John

userluoy@m... - Re: Preview release 4  blueArrow
6/29/2004; 10:39:01 AM (reads: 1145, responses: 0)
I have checked out the CVS version, new problem,

apache complains that " [Tue Jun 29 09:38:17 2004] [error] [client 134.53.64.177] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/webwork2/test_course/"

(If I relink /opt/webwork2 back to the PR4, at least I can see test_course, this means that apache itself has no problem).

Notice that path to test_course, which is strange,"/usr/local/apache/htdocs/webwork2/test_course"

Thanks.