Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - Webwork2 error

Lars Jensen - Webwork2 error

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWebwork2 error topic started 7/14/2004; 12:00:46 PM
last post 7/14/2004; 9:06:26 PM
userLars Jensen - Webwork2 error  blueArrow
7/14/2004; 12:00:46 PM (reads: 933, responses: 3)
After an webwork2 cvs update, I can no longet access the webwork2/ page or the course pages. I get the error below. Any ideas how to fix this is appreciated?

Thanks, Lars.

Warning messages

* Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/lib/WeBWorK/CourseEnvironment.pm line 78.

* Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/lib/WeBWorK/CourseEnvironment.pm line 107.

Error messages

Failed to initialize course environment: failed to read file /conf/global.conf: No such file or directory at /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 89.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: Webwork2 error  blueArrow
7/14/2004; 6:20:47 PM (reads: 1117, responses: 0)
Lars,

The configuration process for WeBWorK has changed recently. Take a look at the new installation manual for more details: http://devel.webwork.rochester.edu/twiki/bin/view/Webwork/InstallationManual#Configuring_Apache

The relevant CVS commit message:

I've changed the way WeBWorK is configured yet again. The Apache configuration for WeBWorK is now done with <Perl> sections. This solves the problem of "seeding" global.conf with initial values for the various root directories and base URLs. it also eliminates redundancy in the Apache configuration file itself.

The Apache configuration for WeBWorK is now contained in the file conf/webwork.apache-config. This file is used both for normal systems, where WeBWorK is integrated into the main Apache server, and development systems, where each developer runs his or her own Apache server.

Inside webwork.apache-config, seven configuation variables are set:

$webwork_url            The base URL handled by Apache::WeBWorK.
$webwork_dir The path to the base webwork2 directory.
$pg_dir The path to the base pg directory.

$webwork_htdocs_url The base URL of the WeBWorK htdocs directory.
$webwork_htdocs_dir The path to the WeBWorK htdocs directory.

$webwork_courses_url The base URL of the WeBWorK courses directory.
$webwork_courses_dir The path to the WeBWorK courses directory.

These variables are used to configure the <Location>, Alias, AliasMatch, and <Directory> directives necessary for WeBWorK operation. $webwork_root and $pg_root are also used in "use lib" lines to add the WeBWorK and PG lib directories to @INC.

Additionally, the above values are shared with WeBWorK via the %WeBWorK::SeedCE hash. WeBWorK.pm passes the contents of this hash (along with a value for "courseName") to CourseEnvironment.pm when initializing the course environment. In turn, CourseEnvironment.pm seeds the course environment namespace with these variables before evaluating global.conf and course.conf.

userLars Jensen - Re: Webwork2 error  blueArrow
7/14/2004; 7:24:05 PM (reads: 1111, responses: 0)
Thank you very much, Sam! Now I can login. Most things seem to work as expected, but when I look at a problem in a problem set that has closed, I get the error below. I don't get this error if I set a close date in the future:

WeBWorK error

An error occured while processing your request. For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster (jensen) giving as much information as you can about the error and the date and time that the error occured. Warning messages

Error messages

Undefined subroutine WeBWorK::DB::Record::UserSet::close_date called at /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Problem.pm line 127

-Lars.

userSam Hathaway - Re: Webwork2 error  blueArrow
7/14/2004; 9:06:26 PM (reads: 1134, responses: 0)
I just fixed this. Update and restart Apache.