Forum archive 2000-2006

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - WeBWorK2 Peeves

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - WeBWorK2 Peeves

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWeBWorK2 Peeves topic started 8/4/2004; 11:11:38 AM
last post 8/4/2004; 1:59:31 PM
userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - WeBWorK2 Peeves  blueArrow
8/4/2004; 11:11:38 AM (reads: 809, responses: 1)
I found the following misfeature in the WWK2 user interface very confusing and frustrating. There are several ways of editing a problem set and only one of these ways allows you to set a hardcopy header for a homework set. The only way to do it (as far as I can see) is to click on "Hmwk Sets Editor" in the left sidebar, select the problem set, select the radio button "Edit selected sets" and click on "Take Action". You then get a page where you are allowed to set the hardcopy header for the set. (I didn't see it initially because it was scrolled out of view to the right.)

Now there are a number of other ways of editing a problem set and none of those other ways allows you to set the hardcopy header, but only the screen set header. These other ways include: (1) click on "Instructor Tools", select problem set, click on "Edit one set", (2) click on "Library Browser", select problem set, click on "Edit Target Set", (3) click on a link to the problem set under "Hmwk Sets Editor" in the left sidebar (these links capriciously appear/disappear)

There should also be a button marked "Assign selected sets to all current users" in the Set Assigner page. (Selecting all the users in the scrolling list on the left can be problematic with some browsers for large classes with say a 1000 users.)

The whole "Library Browser" page is confusing and should be rethought. I think this page should only appear when a new problem set is being created (or an existing one is being edited). The problem set editor page should show allow editing open/due/answer dates, headers, and existing problems in the set. In addition it should have a "Browse for more problems" button, which should then lead to the "Library Browser" page, which would only contain references to the current problem set (the one being edited). Also there should be suitable warnings against editing a problem set which has already been assigned to somebody. Also the "Library Browser" page should warn about assigning problems which are already assigned to that problem set. (It shouldn't be prohibited though, since occasionally an instructor might like to assign the same problem multiple times with different seeds to the same set.) Also there should be more flexibility in assigning the order in which library problems are added to the current set.

Finally a linguistic peeve on the library page. I had to do a double take before I realized that "me" in the checkboxes "Don't show me on the next update" and "Add me to the current set on the next update" referred to "this problem" not to "ME" (the person). I submit that this idiom, while it may be natural for object-oriented programmers, is not so natural for ordinary people, particularly for non-native English speakers.

Zig

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: WeBWorK2 Peeves  blueArrow
8/4/2004; 1:59:31 PM (reads: 1085, responses: 0)
Hi,

The whole "Library Browser" page is confusing and should be rethought.

Maybe. Last week I taught a webwork workshop for local high school and community college teachers. The feedback was that this page was easy to use. I haven't looked at the documentation for the page yet, but I imagine that could be improved.

I think this page should only appear when a new problem set is being 
created (or an existing one is being edited). The problem set editor
page should show allow editing open/due/answer dates, headers, and
existing problems in the set. In addition it should have a "Browse for
more problems" button, which should then lead to the "Library Browser"
page, which would only contain references to the current problem set
(the one being edited).

I don't see the advantage of limiting access/use of the library browser page. We use it as the starting place for creating new sets, some are for students, and some are just to collect problems for later retreival. We also use it for cloning a set to a new name (create a new set there, select all problems from one set and add them to the new one).

Also there should be suitable warnings against editing a problem set 
which has already been assigned to somebody.

Maybe, but this is normal for some people - they assign the set to themselves on creation so that they can get hard copy at anytime. But, a warning isn't going to get in people's way, so that can be put in.

Also the "Library Browser" page should warn about assigning problems 
which are already assigned to that problem set. (It shouldn't be
prohibited though, since occasionally an instructor might like to
assign the same problem multiple times with different seeds to the
same set.) Also there should be more flexibility in assigning the
order in which library problems are added to the current set.

There are lots of things you might want to do when making a set. There was enough going on with the library browser page that the thinking was to have a second page where you would use it for just viewing problems and adding them to sets. Other refinements take place on another page. That is why there is the button to edit the current set. If you edit the problems from that page, you will get warnings about problems which use duplicate source files, and it should be easy to delete or renumber problems on that page.

I would like to see the page where you refine problem selections to be one step closer to the library browser. Also, as you pointed out in your posting, there is more than one page which are effectively "edit this set" which allow changing dates. That should probably be collapsed into a single page. I don't know whether that page should also have the list of problems on it, or just a link to it.

Finally a linguistic peeve on the library page. I had to do a double 
take before I realized that "me" in the checkboxes "Don't show me on
the next update" and "Add me to the current set on the next update"
referred to "this problem" not to "ME" (the person). I submit that
this idiom, while it may be natural for object-oriented programmers,
is not so natural for ordinary people, particularly for non-native
English speakers.

OK, this is now changed in the CVS version.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>