Forum archive 2000-2006

Mark Schmitt - WW2.0 Installation problems

Mark Schmitt - WW2.0 Installation problems

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWW2.0 Installation problems topic started 8/16/2004; 2:53:36 PM
last post 8/23/2004; 4:09:26 PM
userMark Schmitt - WW2.0 Installation problems  blueArrow
8/16/2004; 2:53:36 PM (reads: 2116, responses: 9)
I'm helping a friend install WeBWorK 2.0.1 at Wheeling Jesuit University, and I'm running into some difficulties.

Everything up through configuring apache seems to be ok with one exception. I have never been able to get server-info to work on any installation I've tried. Other than that, everything seems ok.

Then I tried to create the admin course. It seemed to run ok, but when I try to go to the course page, I get the following errors:

Warning messages

* DBI connect('webwork_admin','webworkRead',...) failed: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'webwork_admin' at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Driver/SQL.pm line 39

Error messages

error instantiating DB schema WeBWorK::DB::Schema::SQL for table problem_user: Can't call method "STYLE" without a package or object reference at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema.pm line 81. at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm line 209

I saw that others had this issue, so I ran a wwcvs update -r rel-2-0-1, but it did not resolve the problem. I suspect that there is something wrong with the user but I have no idea where to look for the problem, or how to fix it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mark

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: WW2.0 Installation problems  blueArrow
8/16/2004; 3:39:47 PM (reads: 2395, responses: 0)
Hi Mark,

the server-info is just for information. One problem is that you may need to set up the permissions for the service properly in the httpd.conf file. Normally this service is locked down pretty tight, and you may only be able to use to from certain domains. In any case if everything else seems to be working on the server, you don't need it. It's for debugging during the installation process.

I'm not sure what you mean by "go to course page" -- which button do you click on? In the 2-0-patches version (in the CVS) clicking on "Homework sets" will result in no action. I believe in an earlier version an error in accessing the mySQL database was reported.

In any case the admin course is not a normal course -- it is used only for setting up other courses using "add course" at the top (also "delete course"). You can add students to this course, but only students who are given permission levels of 10 (and are hence professors) will be able to see anything at all in this course. These are the people who will be allowed to create new courses. there is no point in adding problems sets to the admin course.

Once you've created another course (test_course, say) using the "add course" facility you will have a normal course that you can add homework sets and students to. I suggest creating a gdbm course first. If that works create a sql course and check your connections with mysql.

Hope this helps.

-- Mike

userMark Schmitt - Re: WW2.0 Installation problems  blueArrow
8/16/2004; 4:04:08 PM (reads: 2348, responses: 0)
Mike,

I mean that when I go to myserver/webwork2/admin/ the errors above show up. It doesn't matter if I type the address in directly or if I click on the link from myhost/webwork2/ I'm not actually trying anything in the admin course, since I'm not getting anything from the admin course, not even a login screen.

I suspect that the user name is a problem since the errror above has it as "@localhost", but I don't know how to fix that. I don't currently have gdbm installed, but I can put it on if need be. Is it possible to create an admin course using gdbm?

8/17/2004; 11:12:51 AM (reads: 2357, responses: 0)
I have set my admin course up using gdbm, just because it was easier at the time. However it should be possible to set the admin course using sql as well.

I suggest looking at the contents of conf/database.conf (and possibly conf/global.conf) for the settings related to connecting to the mySQL database. These involve a "read" user a "write" user and their passwords.

You also might want to connect directly to the mysql database from the command line and making sure that the users are defined in the database -- you also might like to reset their passwords, just to make sure that the connection between webwork and mysql is compatible.

-- Mike

userMark Schmitt - Re: WW2.0 Installation problems  blueArrow
8/17/2004; 3:11:43 PM (reads: 2348, responses: 0)
Mike,

I don't have access to the machine at the moment, but I will look at that as soon as I can.

I'm not very SQL literate, so I'll ask: how do I go about checking if the users are defined in the database? Also, what should the database be called? After running the addcourse script, there were only two databases listed when I did "show databases" in sql. One was called test and the other was (I think) "mySQL".

Thanks again for the help. If things don't clear up, I will try creating a GDBM version of WW2.0

Mark

8/19/2004; 8:35:29 AM (reads: 2360, responses: 0)
It looks like the courses were not created. If you get GDBM running, try creating an Admin course using GDBM. Then use that to create sql courses.

userJun Wang - Re: WW2.0 Installation problems  blueArrow
8/23/2004; 11:41:47 AM (reads: 2362, responses: 0)
Hi,

We had a similiar problem when installing WeBWorK2.01. We got around this problem by defining webwork_admin, webworkREAD, webworkWrite as users. In the SQL database we grant privilleges on webwork_admin to webworkREAD@localhost.

In mysql we typed: mysql> use mysql mysql>grant select on webwork_admin.* to webworkRead@localhost; mysql>grant selcet, insert, update, delete, drop, create on webwork_admin.* webworkWrite@localhost;

Now that we have the Admin course but when we tried to add courses named MAT111, another problem showed up, saying:

Failed to create the course directory /opt/webwork2/courses/MAT111: Permission denied

The course database was not created and this message shows up regardless of using sql or gdbm. We got stuck here, where should we check for the permission?

Jun

userSam Hathaway - Re: WW2.0 Installation problems  blueArrow
8/23/2004; 1:53:24 PM (reads: 2294, responses: 0)
Failed to create the course directory /opt/webwork2/courses/MAT111: Permission denied

Check the permissions on /opt/webwork2/courses. The web server should have permission to write to this directory.

8/23/2004; 2:14:37 PM (reads: 2315, responses: 0)
We did not creat the groups www-data and wwdata. Instead we are using the group wwserver, the same group as in WeBWorK1. Will this be a problem? Now that the permissions in our webwork2 directory is as:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 12 11:42 bin
drwxrwsr-x 5 root root 4096 Aug 16 15:01 conf
drwxrwsr-x 6 root wwserver 4096 Aug 23 12:25 courses
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 11 14:22 CVS
drwxrwsr-x 4 root wwserver 4096 Aug 23 11:50 DATA
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Aug 11 14:22 doc
drwxrwsr-x 8 root root 4096 Aug 11 14:22 htdocs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wwserver 0 Aug 12 13:39 index,hrml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wwserver 0 Aug 12 13:39 index.html
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Aug 11 14:22 lib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1529 Jul 23 12:48 LICENSE
drwxrwsr-x 3 root wwserver 4096 Aug 11 14:22 logs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wwserver 0 Aug 16 15:36 nohup.out
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2924 Jul 23 12:48 README
drwxrwsr-x 3 root wwserver 4096 Aug 11 14:22 tmp

Thanks,

Jun

8/23/2004; 4:09:26 PM (reads: 2354, responses: 0)
It was a silly error. We are running two apache servers and the one for webwork2 was not in the group wwserver. Now that we are fine, for now.

Jun