Forum archive 2000-2006

Gavin LaRose - webwork2: editing hw sets

Gavin LaRose - webwork2: editing hw sets

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicwebwork2: editing hw sets topic started 8/19/2004; 12:14:26 PM
last post 8/20/2004; 8:32:59 AM
userGavin LaRose - webwork2: editing hw sets  blueArrow
8/19/2004; 12:14:26 PM (reads: 987, responses: 3)

The following interesting behavior in WeBWorK2 seems to me to be counter-intuitive:

• As an instructor, selecting Hwk Sets Editor -> Edit selected sets gives a page titled "Set List" with the options to change a set's visibility, open/close/due dates, and header files.
  • Similarly selecting Instructor Tools -> Edit one set gives a page titled with the set name, with the options to change a set's visibility, open/close/due dates, and header files, and edit the list of problems for the set and determine to whom it has been assigned.

Shouldn't these do the same thing?

Thanks,
Gavin

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: webwork2: editing hw sets  blueArrow
8/19/2004; 2:44:55 PM (reads: 1187, responses: 0)
Yeah, these pages need to be figured out a little. The "Set List" can function as a multi-set editor, too, but only for the data that's really in the "set" table (not assignments and problems). The page titled with the set name, is a singe-set editor ("Set Detail") that also allows editing of assignments and problems.

I think multi-set editing is a good thing, but we can't very well show the assignment and problem data in a table like that. So when multiple sets are selected, we have to use the "Set List" edit mode.

Right now, the behavior is this:

The "Set List" uses its own edit mode when you use "Edit selected sets" or click on the little pencil. The instructor tools index page uses the "Set Detail" to edit a single set.

I would like it to be more like this:

The "Set List" uses the "Set Detail" when the pencil is clicked or "Edit selected sets" is used with only one set selected. When more than one is selected, it uses its own edit mode. The instructor tools index page uses the "Set Detail" to edit a single set.

Your thoughts?

userMichael Gage - Re: webwork2: editing hw sets  blueArrow
8/19/2004; 3:21:15 PM (reads: 1199, responses: 0)
I agree that we have a few too many ways to do the same thing here. Let's continue to discuss suggestions (as Sam is doing above) and then write up a proposal for streamlining the editing in a week or two. I want to give more users a chance to use the current installation and make suggestions before we go to the next iteration of making it less confusing to use.

One thing that will help is better names for the "pages" So far I like "Class list editor" and "Hmwk Sets Editor". We don't have to change the programming names of the modules, but we should, for example, change the title of "Set Lists" to "Hmwk Sets Editor".

Other suggestions?

userGavin LaRose - Re: webwork2: editing hw sets  blueArrow
8/20/2004; 8:32:59 AM (reads: 1196, responses: 0)
I think all of the suggestions here are good. I also agree with Mike that the overall labeling of pages needs to be improved---partly, I am sure, because I am coming from WeBWorK 1.x, I can spend a very long time wandering through the menus for WeBWorK 2.0 before finding how to do something that I know is theoretically possible.

Gavin