Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - Cannot allocate memory errors

Lars Jensen - Cannot allocate memory errors

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicCannot allocate memory errors topic started 8/26/2004; 7:55:33 PM
last post 8/27/2004; 12:39:16 AM
userLars Jensen - Cannot allocate memory errors  blueArrow
8/26/2004; 7:55:33 PM (reads: 1249, responses: 1)
Hi,

We've been seing a lot of "Cannot allocate memory errors" recently. The problem comes up with only some of the images generated, and we see the error below. If I try to print I get the same type of error - see also below. We haven't seen errors like this before with webwork 1. Does webwork 2 demand much more memory than webwork1? I'm getting worried because we've just set up quite a few courses and are getting ready for the beginning of the semester...

Thanks, Lars.

------------

Software Warnings when using "Images" mode

* cd /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/tmp/ImageGenerator.pqaILhor && /bin/mv /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/tmp/ImageGenerator.pqaILhor/equation1.png /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/htdocs/tmp/equations/d1/d94f3476f70d9e9877f46178045ec51.png returned non-zero status -1: Cannot allocate memory at /opt/webwork2/pg/lib/WeBWorK/PG/ImageGenerator.pm line 397. -----------------------------------

Error messages when trying to print:

failed to convert /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/courses/m126d/templates/rochester_problib/setAlgebra16FunctionGraphs/c4s2p5_7/c4s2p5a.gif to /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/courses/m126d/html/tmp/png/c4s2p5a.png using gif->png with /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/bin/gif2png: Cannot allocate memory

Error context

Problem9 ERROR caught by Translator while processing problem file:rochester_problib/setAlgebra16FunctionGraphs/c4s2p5_7/c4s2p5_7.pg * failed to convert /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/courses/m126d/templates/rochester_problib/setAlgebra16FunctionGraphs/c4s2p5_7/c4s2p5a.gif to /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/courses/m126d/html/tmp/png/c4s2p5a.png using gif->png with /opt/webwork2/webwork-modperl/bin/gif2png: Cannot allocate memory

<| Post or View Comments |>

userLars Jensen - Re: Cannot allocate memory errors  blueArrow
8/27/2004; 12:39:16 AM (reads: 1510, responses: 0)
Hi,

The "cannot allocate memory" errors may to have to do with runaway apache processes. top listed one apache process at over 99% of CPU memory. I am pretty sure that webwork2 caused this process, and worried that it was not shut down. After I restarted apache this process died, and I had no problems printing or viewing the problems that caused the error before. Does webwork2 have a mechanism to kill runaway apache processes, or is this something I'll have to monitor regularly? I am somewhat worried about this because we'll we are planning to increase our operation by about 10 more webwork courses this semester (beginning Monday!)

Thanks, Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>