Forum archive 2000-2006

David K. Watson - Funny behavor naming sets begining with "set"

David K. Watson - Funny behavor naming sets begining with "set"

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicFunny behavor naming sets begining with "set" topic started 8/30/2004; 2:48:46 AM
last post 8/30/2004; 1:01:51 PM
userDavid K. Watson - Funny behavor naming sets begining with "set"  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 2:48:46 AM (reads: 784, responses: 1)
On the Problem Library tab if you create a new set named "setWhatever," it will show up in the target problem set pop-up as just "Whatever," and you will get an error message if you try to use the Edit Target Set button.

It will strip out leading strings of "set" from the name recursively it seems, so "setsetWhatever" will also show up as "Whatever" in the target set pop-up.

This should probably be fixed eventually, but I realized that you really shouldn't name your sets beginning with "set" anyway, since a set named "setSomething" when it is assigned will show up in the student's problem set list as "set setSomething," which is a little redundant.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Funny behavor naming sets begining with  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 1:01:51 PM (reads: 1028, responses: 0)
I agree that it is odd. The idea was to protect users who were following the older filename convention set*.def. Also, as you point out, if a set name really is setWhatever, then it is listed as set setWhatever.

The solution which seems good to me might rub others the wrong way. It would go like this:

• Have the library browser leave the names as it gets them.
  • When displaying set names, don't add "set" to the name.
  • Systematically display underscores as spaces (or maybe non-breaking spaces) on generated web pages.
Then, if someone names their set "Assignment_1", it comes out as "Asssignment 1", not "set Assignment_1". If someone wants a set named set 3, they can do that too - they just call it "set_3" instead of "3".

Other thoughts/comments/opinions?

John

<| Post or View Comments |>