Forum archive 2000-2006

Doug Drinen - Doing a set before the opening date

Doug Drinen - Doing a set before the opening date

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicDoing a set before the opening date topic started 9/1/2004; 1:49:08 PM
last post 9/1/2004; 6:17:32 PM
userDoug Drinen - Doing a set before the opening date  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 1:49:08 PM (reads: 1372, responses: 5)
On WeBWorK 1.8, I used to do the following:

1. Build set.

2. Set open date to the instant my class would end (usually about 2 days in the future)

3. To make sure everything was OK, go do the set myself before it opens.

WW1.8 allowed me (the instructor) to work a set before it was open. As far as I can tell, WW2 does not. My workaround is to open the set immediately, but make it invisible to students. Then I can work it because it's open, but students can't work it because they can't see it. The problem with that is that I have to remember to make it visible manually at the time I want to open it. I will surely forget to do this at some point.

Is there a way to have a set automatically become visible at a certain time?

Alternatively, is there a way for a professor to work a set that's not yet open?

Thanks,

Doug

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Doing a set before the opening date  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 3:24:22 PM (reads: 1696, responses: 1)
By default, you can check answers before a set opens. If you want your scores recorded, then adjust the values in conf/global.conf in the permissionLevels hash. I think you want record_answers_before_open_date, which defaults to nobody, but you can set it equal to $professor.

John

userDoug Drinen - Re: Doing a set before the opening date  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 4:10:52 PM (reads: 1969, responses: 0)
Thanks for the reply, John. I must really be dense, though, because I cannot figure out how to work a closed set in WW2.

I log in and, as professor, I can see that there is a closed set. In gray, it says "will open on 09/03/04 at 10:00am." I click on the set, and it gives me a problem list, along with the message: "This set is hidden from students." So far so good. But then I click a problem and I get the dreaded pink stripe: "This problem is not available because the problem set that contains it is not yet open."

I get the same message if I go to it via:

Homework sets editor ---> [click the problem] ---> "Try it"

Finally, here is the permissionLevels hash from global.conf:

---------------------------------------------------

my $student = 0; my $ta = 5; my $professor = 10; %permissionLevels = ( report_bugs => $student, view_multiple_sets => $ta, view_unopened_sets => $ta, view_unpublished_sets => $ta, view_answers => $ta, become_student => $professor, access_instructor_tools => $ta, create_and_delete_problem_sets => $professor, modify_problem_sets => $professor, assign_problem_sets => $professor, modify_student_data => $professor, score_sets => $professor, send_mail => $professor, modify_classlist_files => $professor, modify_set_def_files => $professor, modify_scoring_files => $professor, create_and_delete_courses => $professor, fix_course_databases => $professor, ); ---------------------------------------------------

From the looks of things, I should be able to "view" the unopened sets, which I guess I can (if "view" means "view the existence of"). Are these the only possible keys for the permissionLevels hash? If not, where can I find a complete list of possible keys?

Thanks again,

Doug

userBlake Thornton - Re: Doing a set before the opening date  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 5:46:54 PM (reads: 1618, responses: 1)
Why not just assign the set to yourself and then work through the problems? Then, when you get it all ready to go, you can assign it to everyone.

Or, you can work the problems in the homework editor and select edit the problem.

userJohn Jones - Re: Doing a set before the opening date  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 6:17:32 PM (reads: 1621, responses: 0)
Blake's suggestions should work, but the process Doug is trying should work too. In fact, when I follow the same steps, I can do problems.

It seems that you have an older version of some files, especially global.conf. Yours doesn't list the one permission value I mentioned. If you update from cvs the new version is global.conf.dist (which is good so it doesn't overwrite any local customizations). You then need to merge your local values with a current version of global.conf.dist to make a new global.conf.

John

userDoug Drinen - Re: Doing a set before the opening date  blueArrow
9/2/2004; 8:57:53 AM (reads: 1902, responses: 0)
That first one is a good idea, Blake. Not sure why I didn't think of it. Too locked into my old system, I guess. Thanks.

And thanks again, John, for the global.conf tips.

Doug