Forum archive 2000-2006

Ben Pollina - Error on problems with limited attempts

Ben Pollina - Error on problems with limited attempts

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicError on problems with limited attempts topic started 9/4/2004; 8:32:01 AM
last post 9/15/2004; 12:58:21 PM
userBen Pollina - Error on problems with limited attempts  blueArrow
9/4/2004; 8:32:01 AM (reads: 1141, responses: 3)
Has anyone experienced the following behavior?

On a problem with a limit number of tries WW seems to miscount the number of attempts made and the number remaining. When I tried it on a problem with a limit of 3 attempts, WW allowed all three attempts and correctly blocked the fourth by removing the submit button. However, the message at the bottom told me I had only made two attempts and still had one remaining. The problem list page had a similar indication.

To further complicate things, my students are telling me that in some cases, ww is not allowing their last legitimate attempt, but so far I have been unable to confirm this.

Ben

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Error on problems with limited attempts  blueArrow
9/4/2004; 8:46:21 AM (reads: 1354, responses: 0)
We've had trouble with this "off by one" phenomenon.

There is a bug report at

http://bugs.webwork.rochester.edu/show_bug.cgi?id=641

You might want to add to it.

There is also a potential fix submitted to the rel-2-0-patches branch of the CVS.

Updating Problem.pm and Stats.pm may well fix this problem. Any feedback will be appreciated.

--Mike

userSam Hathaway - Re: Error on problems with limited attempts  blueArrow
9/4/2004; 12:48:55 PM (reads: 1394, responses: 0)
See http://devel.webwork.rochester.edu/twiki/bin/view/Webwork/InstallationManualV2pt0#Upgrading_using_CVS for upgrade instructions.

userZoran - Re: Error on problems with limited attempts  blueArrow
9/15/2004; 12:58:21 PM (reads: 1398, responses: 0)
Hi guys.

I have the same problem. I did all the updates through cvs. And I updated Problem.pm & Stats.pm manually to 1.164 and 1.46 respectively. It's still broken. Button is gone after the correct times of attempts, but the counter is wrong, just like Ben reported.

Regards Zoran.