Forum archive 2000-2006

Gavin LaRose - ww1 -> ww2 portability issues

Gavin LaRose - ww1 -> ww2 portability issues

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicww1 -> ww2 portability issues topic started 9/6/2004; 10:45:40 PM
last post 9/7/2004; 2:06:52 PM
userGavin LaRose - ww1 -> ww2 portability issues  blueArrow
9/6/2004; 10:45:40 PM (reads: 1277, responses: 3)
I believe the following are difficulties with converting WeBWorK 1.x problems to WeBWorK 2.0.1. (That is, I copied a bunch of WeBWorK 1.x files which we were using last year into WeBWorK 2.0.1 courses, and had to change the following to get the problems to compile.)

image() when used between BEGIN_TEXT and END_TEXT gives an error about the underbar in the parameter tex_size when that is included. If image() is used outside of the problem text it appears to be fine, however.

image() fails to find image files named something.other.gif, I believe because the pattern matching isn't greedy enough; if my memory serves me correctly, it complains about not knowing what to do with files of type other.gif or something like that.

str_cmp() returns errors when the filters trim_whitespace or ignore_case are provided. I think those are default, but I was finding that the problem was being rejected until I took the filters out.

Gavin

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: ww1 -> ww2 portability issues  blueArrow
9/6/2004; 10:57:12 PM (reads: 1509, responses: 0)
We can check this out, but the pg code used for rendering the problems is common to both WW2.0.1 and WW1.9, in particular image() is defined in the same file. (So I would expect the same errors in the most recent version of WW1.x )

I'm not 100% sure yet, but in a related issue you do need to be careful when copying ww1.9 set definition files into ww2.0 -- sometimes, but I'm not always sure when, the screenheader and hardcopy header files are switched. It may be only when files are read into the database using 1.9 code then read using WW2.0. I still haven't tracked this down for sure.

This will cause problems with screen display or hardcopy output or both. Often the error message involves an underbar if the course name has an underbar. (Underbars are not allowed in TeX outside of math mode.)

If you can send me copies of the offending problems I'll take a look at them.

userGavin LaRose - Re: ww1 -> ww2 portability issues  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 11:58:12 AM (reads: 1553, responses: 0)
Update: some of the problems with image() I reported may be a function of my working too late last night.

image() when used between BEGIN_TEXT and END_TEXT gives an error about the underbar in the parameter tex_size when that is included. If image() is used outside of the problem text it appears to be fine, however.

I'm not able to duplicate this, so it's probably spurious.

image() fails to find image files named something.other.gif

I think this is true for hardcopy generation. I'm getting the error "LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .other.png" when I try to generate a PDF. Changing the image name to something-other.gif solves the problem.

I also think I correctly reported the str_cmp() problem.

you do need to be careful when copying ww1.9 set definition files into ww2.0

I have seen something like this, but haven't stopped to carefully diagnose it.

Gavin

userJohn Jones - Re: ww1 -> ww2 portability issues  blueArrow
9/7/2004; 2:06:52 PM (reads: 1495, responses: 0)
Hi,

On the something.other.gif problem, I have run into this. It is from pdflatex. It cannot handle the extra period in the filename. For webwork to work around this, it would have to do more munging of filenames of images, including changing the names of images which could be imported directly to pdflatex as-is.

The change from webwork 1 is that webwork 1 used a different route to pdf which in most ways was not as good.

John