Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - Upgrading to 2.1

Lars Jensen - Upgrading to 2.1

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicUpgrading to 2.1 topic started 9/28/2004; 3:22:24 AM
last post 10/29/2004; 12:08:16 AM
userLars Jensen - Upgrading to 2.1  blueArrow
9/28/2004; 3:22:24 AM (reads: 5843, responses: 8)
Hi,

How do we upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 with cvs? We'd like to test out 2.1 before the next semester. We tried to upgrade the webwork2 directory with:

cvs update -r rel-2-1-patches

but got an error. Is this way of upgrading not possible? We're currently running rel-2-0-patches

Thanks, Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: Upgrading to 2.1  blueArrow
9/28/2004; 10:18:40 AM (reads: 6466, responses: 0)
WeBWorK 2.1 hasn't yet been released, so there is no rel-2-1-patches branch. If you want, you can upgrade to the HEAD branch, which will become 2.1 soon. However, HEAD is not guaranteed to be stable. To upgrade to head:

cvs update -d -A

userLars Jensen - Re: Upgrading to 2.1  blueArrow
9/28/2004; 12:23:57 PM (reads: 6470, responses: 0)
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info. This upgrade would only occur on a testing machine. Does the HEAD upgrade require the web server to be configured differently? -The conf files looks a lot more complicated...

Lars.

userMichael Gage - Re: Upgrading to 2.1  blueArrow
9/28/2004; 2:18:50 PM (reads: 6466, responses: 0)
The conf files aren't actually much more complicated than for rel-2-0-patches. If you haven't updated in several months then there are some changes, that actually make webwork easier to configure (involves webwork.apache-conf) Big chunks of database.conf.dist have been moved around, so it is probably easier to create a new copy of database.conf and then copy the passwords from your old database.conf to the new one.

The biggest difference is that you will need the module DateTime.pm installed from CPAN. On some machines I've had trouble getting this one installed (on Red Hat 9 in particular) so it would be wise to install it first before you update from the CVS. So far I've always been able to install this eventually.

-- Mike

9/28/2004; 2:23:09 PM (reads: 6605, responses: 0)
See also the draft installation manual for 2.1, especially the section on upgrading an existing installation.

userLars Jensen - Re: Upgrading to 2.1  blueArrow
9/29/2004; 4:00:33 AM (reads: 6443, responses: 0)
Hi Mike and Sam,

The upgrade worked great and sql_single courses can be created fine - thanks! I have a couple of questions on the mysql setup. When I first installed mysql, root didn't have a password, so I set one up, using mysqladmin -u root password my_secret. Then I logged into mysql database with phpmyadmin, and in the "privileges" view, I noticed that two root users with full privileges is listed: One is root@localhost and the other root@hostname where hostname is the hostname of my machine. Why are two needed? Also, the latter has "No" in the password column (the former has "Yes"). Why is this? Isn't it enough with the root@localhost account?

Thanks,

Lars.

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: Upgrading to 2.1  blueArrow
9/29/2004; 7:42:59 AM (reads: 6466, responses: 0)
Currently the root@hostname user is superfluous. But if you move your mysql databases to another machine, you will still be able to access them from the old machine with this user.

9/29/2004; 8:04:59 AM (reads: 6500, responses: 0)
root@localhost is used if you connect through the UNIX socket with mysql -u root -p or via TCP with mysql -h localhost -u root -p. root@hostname is used if you connect with mysql -h hostname -u root -p.

As a security measure, distributors often ship MySQL with skip-networking enabled in a configuration file or rc script, so access from other hosts is disabled and root@hostname is never used. I usually set the password on both accounts, with something like UPDATE user SET password=PASSWORD('xyzzy') WHERE user='root';.

userMichael Gage - Re: Upgrading to 2.1  blueArrow
10/29/2004; 12:08:16 AM (reads: 6358, responses: 0)
As of today (October 28, 2004)

cvs update -A -d

will give you the candidate for WeBWork 2.1.

After November 1, you should be able to obtain WeBWorK 2.1 and relevant updates using

cvs update -r rel-2-1-patches

--Mike