Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - webwork server questions

Lars Jensen - webwork server questions

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicwebwork server questions topic started 11/13/2004; 6:52:14 PM
last post 11/15/2004; 12:15:47 PM
userLars Jensen - webwork server questions  blueArrow
11/13/2004; 6:52:14 PM (reads: 957, responses: 2)
Hi,

Debian includes an "apache-perl" binary: (mod-perl statically linked)

and

libapache-mod-speedycgi (apache module to speed up perl scripts by making them persistent)

On a dedicated webwork server, is there any gain in using the above packages?

Thanks, Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userGavin LaRose - Re: webwork server questions  blueArrow
11/15/2004; 9:17:10 AM (reads: 1149, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

In that WeBWorK2 requires mod_perl, I'll assume that the first question ("is there a gain the Debian apache-perl module") relates to the question of whether a statically linked binary is significantly better than a dynamically linked one. I think the answer to that is that there may be a slight speedup from using a statically linked binary, but that it's not going to be significant.

Obviously going from a non-mod_perl to a mod_perl apache server provides a marked speedup for Perl applications even if the application is only run from the cgi-perl directory instead of the perl directory.

I'm not familiar with libapache-mod-speedycgi. It sounds like something that provides limited mod_perl like functionality without requiring that one put in a full mod_perl server, which has a conspicuously larger memory footprint then a regular one.

Gavin

userSam Hathaway - Re: webwork server questions  blueArrow
11/15/2004; 12:15:47 PM (reads: 1146, responses: 0)
I always use a dynamically-linked mod_perl (package libapache-mod-perl), so I don't know if apache-perl would be significantly faster. WeBWorK 2 uses the mod_perl handler interface, so it won't be effected by SpeedyCGI. However, if you're interested in running WeBWorK 1.9 under mod_perl, you might want to look at Apache::PerlRun.