Forum archive 2000-2006

Ben Pollina - Sample Questionnaire

Ben Pollina - Sample Questionnaire

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicSample Questionnaire topic started 11/30/2004; 3:09:53 PM
last post 12/3/2004; 2:40:54 PM
userBen Pollina - Sample Questionnaire  blueArrow
11/30/2004; 3:09:53 PM (reads: 1964, responses: 9)
I am trying to get the WeBWorK evaluation questionnaire to work in WW2. When the text of the questionnaire is first displayed, portions of some questions don't appear in the browser (I'm using Internet Explorer.) However, if I scroll down and then scroll back, the missing text appears although not reliably. This behavior did not occur in ealier versions of WeBWorK.

To observe this, go to

http://math.hartford.edu:8200/webwork2/M144Pollina/

and log in as practice1.

Has anyone experienced this behavior or know what is going on and how it can be fixed?

Ben Pollina

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Sample Questionnaire  blueArrow
11/30/2004; 3:57:33 PM (reads: 2192, responses: 0)
Hi Ben,

Which problem number/set is the questionnaire.

I just tried this at Rochester and with jsMath mode (which seems to be the default for your course) the first paragraph of the questionnaire is cut off. If you scroll down and then back, you see the whole paragraph. Is this what happens at Hartford? There is no problem with images mode.

We haven't had any reports of problems at Rochester but (as far as I know) all our courses are using images mode as the default. So far about 750 students have submitted the questionnaire.

Another related matter. The script that compiles the results needs as input a saved copy of the html source of the problem (questionnaire). You have to save this source from a WeBWorK 1.9 course unless you want to rewrite the script. Next semester I will rewrite the script but the source from WeBWorK 2 is a lot ulgier than the source from WeBWorK 1.9 so that may be a bit of a pain.

Arnie

userJohn Jones - Re: Sample Questionnaire  blueArrow
11/30/2004; 6:37:37 PM (reads: 2195, responses: 0)
We have seen this on other problems. It is explorer's peekaboo bug. Depending on the version of explorer, you can make all of the text for a problem disappear if you click to reload the screen. It comes from explorer's handling of css, which is used in webwork 2 templates but not in webwork 1 (which is why you didn't see it in webwork 1).

To trigger it, you need some combination of the boxes for the layout to have the "wrong" relative sizes. Generally, this means a very long problem, so we see it in some of the set0 problems.

Our fix was to include

* {zoom: 1;}
near the top of the template. This fixes most peekaboos, but not all. Some problems (matching I think) produce a list of items which suffer from peekable (sometimes labels are missing, and sometimes content is missing).

John

userBen Pollina - Re: Sample Questionnaire  blueArrow
11/30/2004; 8:12:30 PM (reads: 2148, responses: 0)
John,

Thanks for looking at this. However, I don't know enough about this to understand your suggested fix. I naively tried placing the

* {zoom: 1;}

statement near the top of the pg file, but this produced syntax errors. I'm using a slightly modified version of the WeBWorK_questionnaire_fall02.pg file that appears in the setSampleQuestionnaires directory of the Rochester DemoCourse.

Ben

11/30/2004; 11:23:27 PM (reads: 2164, responses: 0)
Hi,

It doesn't go in the pg file. It goes in the template file. By default, this is .../webwork2/conf/templates/ur.template.

John

11/30/2004; 11:46:55 PM (reads: 2146, responses: 0)
Hi John,

Would you please look at http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/hollyhack.html where they talk about the zoom fix and another hack which they seem to think is better. After you decide which you think is best, then maybe you can update ur.template in the CVS.

Arnie

12/1/2004; 8:46:43 AM (reads: 2132, responses: 0)
John,

Thanks. This did the trick.

Ben

12/1/2004; 10:55:08 AM (reads: 2158, responses: 0)
Hi Arnie,

When I first encountered this problem I looked into the Holly hack. I couldn't get it to work for webwork. So, I use the one above. Some web page made some vague reference to why it was not a good fix, so maybe someone will figure out a better one.

Can you reproduce it at Rochester (use any recent explorer under windows)? As I mentioned above, the zoom fix does not cure all peekaboo woes for webwork. For some of the other ones, we may want to code around them.

John

12/1/2004; 5:13:14 PM (reads: 2150, responses: 0)
Thanks John.

We can reproduce the bug at Rochester (in both jsMath and images modes). I added your hack to .../webwork2/conf/templates/ur.template and that seemed to have fixed the problem. I uploaded the new ur.template to the CVS.

Arnie

12/3/2004; 2:40:54 PM (reads: 2131, responses: 0)
John, Arnie,

It looks like the zoom fix disrupts the display of math expressions using jsMath. I've seen some integrals with the tops cut off. Display using images seems to be okay.

Ben