Forum archive 2000-2006

Steven McKay - Blank home page - what's wrong?

Steven McKay - Blank home page - what's wrong?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicBlank home page - what's wrong? topic started 12/2/2004; 1:32:33 PM
last post 12/3/2004; 12:18:27 AM
userSteven McKay - Blank home page - what's wrong?  blueArrow
12/2/2004; 1:32:33 PM (reads: 1308, responses: 4)
Hi, I have installed webwork2 on a server. I am running apache 1.3 with mod_perl present. I have installed all missing software. I have set up the database server. I have created the admin user.

However, when I browse to myservername.edu/webwork2

all I get is a blank page. Clearly, something is still missing, but I don't know what it is. I have searched for this problem, but haven't seen it. I am running on OSX 10.3.

Any ideas? Hopefully I did something stupid that can be easily fixed.

S. McKay

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Blank home page - what's wrong?  blueArrow
12/2/2004; 2:08:00 PM (reads: 1570, responses: 0)
Have you been checking the log file for the apache server when you try to connect? There may be some extra error messages there. That's a very useful trouble shooting tip to remember.

Mostly likely there is a some mismatch in setting up the configuration in the apache configuration files. (see http://devel.webwork.rochester.edu/twiki/bin/view/Webwork/InstallationManualV2pt1#Configuring_Apache) and other items on this page. The first step is to get some feedback from Apache to indicate where the mismatch is occuring.

userSteven McKay - Re: Blank home page - what's wrong?  blueArrow
12/2/2004; 3:25:15 PM (reads: 1532, responses: 0)
Yes, the log file was helpful when I was missing a module (wasn't compiled correctly). Now, however, I get no information in error_log when I access webwork2. the access_log shows the get for webwork2, but all I see is a blank page. I followed the instructions in the manual for apache. I am at a loss here. Any other places to look?

S. McKay

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: Blank home page - what's wrong?  blueArrow
12/2/2004; 6:01:43 PM (reads: 1529, responses: 0)
Steve:

I had a similar problem when I set up WW2 on OS X last summer. As I recall, there is a bug with the print command (!) in the version of mod_perl shipped with OS X at the time. There is a discussion of this at

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031129120521712

that includes a work-around that worked for me, but I ended up recompiling mod_perl because I thought this was important enough to have right.

This was a pretty puzzling bug, and took me quite a while to identify. After spending most of a day working on it, I had come to the conclusion that print just wasn't working, but found that hard to believe. A search of the net came up with the site I listed above, which confirmed by findings. Recompiling mod_perl was easy (as I recall) and fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

Davide

userSteven McKay - Re: Blank home page - what's wrong?  blueArrow
12/3/2004; 12:18:27 AM (reads: 1531, responses: 0)
Davide, Thanks! That was the problem. You saved me a great deal of hair pulling.

Michael, Perhaps this should go into the manual? (If installing on OSX 10.3, mod_perl needs to be reinstalled?

Thanks again.

S. McKay