Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - union problib

Lars Jensen - union problib

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicunion problib topic started 1/23/2005; 1:16:38 AM
last post 1/25/2005; 2:59:50 AM
userLars Jensen - union problib  blueArrow
1/23/2005; 1:16:38 AM (reads: 936, responses: 2)
Hi,

The union problib is apparently not currently part of webwork 2.1. Some macros are missing for it to work properly. I moved the macros from union_problib/macros to webwork2/pg/macros and that seemed to fix the issue. Is this enough? Will the union macros eventually become part of webwork2 ?

Thanks to Union College for sharing their library.

Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: union problib  blueArrow
1/23/2005; 11:49:46 AM (reads: 1185, responses: 0)
Lars:

I hope you find something useful in our prolem library.

In answer to your question about incorporating the macros into WW2.1: as is so often the case, these macros evolved over time, and are not all equally appropriate for incorporation into the distribution. Some of them represent my own peculiar tastes and our needs here at Union, for example, (like the borders around the problems), and the mechanism I used for handling that is probably not the right way for WW2. Also, much of the functionality of the various answer checkers has been rolled into the new parser that IS part of WW2.1, so those macro files are not really needed except to support the legacy problems in the Unio nproblem library. I hope to update our library to use the new parser throughout, but that takes time, and Mike asked me to put our library in place as is, so I needed to distribute the older macros as well. There is also the issue of duplication of features, as John Jones has similar answer checkers to some of ours, and there is no point in supporting two different and incompatible versions of essentially the same thing. John and I have talked about merging our separate versions, but that also takes time. So what I'm saying, I guess, is that we really need to go over the macros carefully before they become part of the main distribution.

On the other hand, there are some useful macro files that SHOULD be included, like the weighted grader, the unordered answer macros, the LiveGraphics3D library, and some of the image management tools.

But overall, they need to be looked at carefully and modernized before I'd feel comfortable with making them an official part of WW2. Right now they are in the "user contributed" category rather than the "fully supported" category.

As for your other question, yes putting them in pg/macros should be sufficient to make them work for you.

Davide

userLars Jensen - Re: union problib  blueArrow
1/25/2005; 2:59:50 AM (reads: 1145, responses: 0)
Hi Davide,

Thanks for your responses!

Lars.