Forum archive 2000-2006

Šarūnas Burdulis - Problem set progress indication

Šarūnas Burdulis - Problem set progress indication

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicProblem set progress indication topic started 2/21/2005; 2:52:27 PM
last post 2/23/2005; 9:21:52 AM
userarūnas Burdulis - Problem set progress indication  blueArrow
2/21/2005; 2:52:27 PM (reads: 989, responses: 5)
Hello,

I have a question whether this is an intended behaviour in WW2.1.

Student's progress is summarized:

-- by "0" and "C" on a "Student Progress for <course> student <user_id>";

-- on individual set page (by clicking the link on the above page).

The latter displays counters which are consistent with what is in the database and also can be deduced from the logs. The former however seems to use the second line for incorrect attempts while indicating correct ones on the top line. That is, if the "Student Progress..." has:

... Problems

... 0 0 C C

... 1 0 1 0

the report page for an individual set will show:

Name Attempts

prob1 1

prob2 0

prob3 2

prob4 1

Is this by design (is there a point in documentation to direct users to?) or do we have a glitch here?

Thanks!

Sarunas

<| Post or View Comments |>

userGavin LaRose - Re: Problem set progress indication  blueArrow
2/22/2005; 12:13:38 PM (reads: 1165, responses: 1)
Hi Sarunas,

I think the two displays give much the same information, with the display on the student progress page being chosen to make the data more compact and give slightly more comprehensive data. I see on the Student Progress page something like

Problems
C C C 33 C C C 0
1 0 2 4 2 1 2 1

where the top row gives the status as a percent of the possible score, or "C" for 100% correct, and the bottom row gives the number of incorrect attempts. On the set list page we see

Problem   Attempts Remaining  Status
Problem 1 1 5 100%
Problem 2 1 5 100%
Problem 3 1 5 100%
(etc.)

where the columns are self-explanatory. The status column here gives exactly the same information as the first row in the student progress page output. The other columns give the information about attempts that students need to know: how many attempts they've submitted and how many they have to go. I assume that the remaining column goes away if there are infinite attempts for a problem.

That said, I might be misinterpreting your question, because my data listings aren't quite the same as those you outlined.

Best,
Gavin

userarūnas Burdulis - Re: Problem set progress indication  blueArrow
2/22/2005; 2:33:17 PM (reads: 1395, responses: 0)
I understand that the second line in Student Progress gives the number of *incorrect* attempts, not all the attempts. This is probably by the design of WW, but I wanted to make sure.

However, Attempts column in your example lists 1 attempt for each problem even though there seem to have been at least 2 and 3 attempts for problems 1 and 3 respectively (judging by the Student Progress example). Is this what you actually see, or just an example, not related to your Student Progress?

Sarunas

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: Problem set progress indication  blueArrow
2/22/2005; 5:27:15 PM (reads: 1155, responses: 1)
Yes, the second row of the Student Progress information is intentionally the number of incorrect attempts, not the full attempts, as documented in the blurb at the top of the instructor's Student Progress page (the one obtained from the Instructor's Tools page using the "progress" button for a selected set). This information doesn't appear on individual student pages, however.

Davide

userGavin LaRose - Re: Problem set progress indication  blueArrow
2/23/2005; 9:21:52 AM (reads: 1162, responses: 0)
As a follow-up to my post (and as Sarunas pointed out), the student progress and set list examples I gave obviously don't correspond to the same set (or same student). I cut-and-pasted them from another page without thinking about it much.

Gavin

userarūnas Burdulis - Re: Problem set progress indication  blueArrow
2/23/2005; 11:36:11 AM (reads: 1333, responses: 0)
Thanks to everybody for your input.

Davide, thanks for the reference to the blurb!

Sarunas