WeBWorK Main Forum

library browser problem

library browser problem

by Richard Bayne -
Number of replies: 4
When using the library browser to build a problem set, I have encountered problems viewing certain sets of problems. When I click on the "view problems" button no problems are displayed. If I happen to be using Firefox, I just get a blank screen. If I am using Safari, I get the message:

Safari can’t open the page “http://butcher.math.howard.edu
/webwork2/MATH-160bayne/instructor/setmaker/” because the server
unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when
the server is busy. You might be able to open the page later.

I have checked that the files are on the server and that the permissions seem all right. As a test, I copied files from one directory that I was not able to view to one that I had been able to view and was then not able to view any of the problems in the previously ok directory. I guess I could test the problems one by one, but I was hoping for a clue that might be less tedious, especially since there is more than one problem set from more than one library for which this occurs.
I have looked through the forum, but have not found a similar complaint. Any assistance will be appreciated.
Bayne
In reply to Richard Bayne

Re: library browser problem

by Richard Bayne -
OK, here is an update. After several addition and removal of files from the directory setTrig05Graphs in the Rochester library, it seems that I can isolate a few files that cause the browser not to display problems. Among these are p2.pg, p3.pg, p4.pg, p8.pg, p9.pg, p23.pg and p24.pg. My initial inspection does not show any obvious reason why these would cause a problem. Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Bayne

by Davide Cervone -
A lot of these files use on-the-fly graphics, so it may be that the page is timing out because the graphs are taking a long time to generate. There have been some recent updates to pg/macros/PGgraphmacros.pl that address a speed issue that was introduced during the summer. Perhaps you should try updating that file to the current version.

Davide
In reply to Davide Cervone

by Richard Bayne -
Davide,
Would I have not gotten these changes when I did my update to the new pg a few weeks ago?

Bayne

by Davide Cervone -
The important fix to PGgraphmacros.pl was only 13 days ago, so you might have just missed it. I'd check that you have the lastest copy of that file. You'll also need pg/lib/Value/WeBWorK.pm which was updated as well.

Davide