Forum archive 2000-2006

Michael Gage - WW2 Newbie

Michael Gage - WW2 Newbie

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWW2 Newbie topic started 5/26/2005; 8:40:58 AM
last post 5/26/2005; 1:27:53 PM
userMichael Gage - WW2 Newbie  blueArrow
5/26/2005; 8:40:58 AM (reads: 797, responses: 2)
I've been messing about with WebWork 2.1 and I'm starting to get the hang of it, but other than the lack of a WebWork2-specific newbie guide, there seems to be no "demoCourse" that came with the standard installation of WebWork 1. It would be good to see how to get something up and running and then modify it.

One of my users asks "... how to upload question files into Webwork - the only way I have found to write questions so far is to delete an already existing question and write over it. This is obviously not a very efficient way of doing things and also requires that questions be there in the first place!"

I'm off to upgrade to 2.1.2, because I have the time and the inclination.

thanks,

Boyd Duffee, Keele University Computer Science (01782) 583437 Computing Officer JAPH

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: WW2 Newbie  blueArrow
5/26/2005; 9:21:06 AM (reads: 1010, responses: 0)
there seems to be no "demoCourse" that came with the standard installation of WebWork 1. It would be good to see how to get something up and running and then modify it.

Good point. I've added a course called "modelCourse" to the CVS at webwork2/courses/modelCourse that might help to some extent. (Remember to use cvs update -d to get the new directory.)

Another aid might be to login to http://webwork.math.rochester.edu/webwork2/maa101 (or maa102, etc.) and use profa as login and password. This will let you look at an existing course and how it works. The view from the File Manager shows you the underlying directory structure. The main item of interest is the templates directory which either contains the templates for problems (as in WW1.9) or contains links to read-only copies of libraries.

Creating a new problem from an existing one and adding it to a set is currently a bit cumbersome -- it involves two steps. While editing a problem similar to the one you wish to create use the "Save as" button to save the problem to a new file. The name of the file should be the path relative to the "templates" directory. So for example prob4_new.pg would be a legitimate name as would newSet/prob4_new.pg

Now to include this in the current set. Go to the library and from the "select problem collection" menu choose either "My problems" for the first example above or "newSet" for the second example. Click the view button and add the desired problems to your set. You can then continue to edit these problems in the current set. (Click the "Edit target set" button on the Library page, or enter from the "Hmwk Sets Editor".)

When you are editing a problem set you can create a new blank problem template by clicking the "Create blank problem" link at the bottom of the page. You still need to save this problem with a new name and then add it back in to the current set -- it would be nice to have a short cut that allows you to create a new problem and add it to the current set in one step, but it's not there yet.

Finally, if you have lots of problems of your own, or you like to work off line. You can create the problems anywhere with any editor and then upload them to the templates directory using the File Manager. Problems must have the extension .pg and they must be in a sudirectory of the templates directory in order to be able to find them using the library browser.

Hope this helps.

-- Mike

userJohn Jones - Re: WW2 Newbie  blueArrow
5/26/2005; 1:27:53 PM (reads: 1039, responses: 0)
Hi,

The process of creating new problems using save as is actually a little simpler; you do not need to go to the library browser. When you are looking a the problem editor and use the save as button to create a copy of a problem, a new problem editor window pops up for the new copy. You can then add the new problem to an existing problem set from there with the "Add problem to:" button. You select the set from a drop-down list.

John