Forum archive 2000-2006

Nandor Sieben - development of perl functions for webwork

Nandor Sieben - development of perl functions for webwork

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicdevelopment of perl functions for webwork topic started 6/12/2005; 2:35:10 AM
last post 6/12/2005; 12:46:31 PM
userNandor Sieben - development of perl functions for webwork  blueArrow
6/12/2005; 2:35:10 AM (reads: 976, responses: 1)
We are working on some fairly complicated functions like Kruskal's algorithm, Euler circuits etc. to be used in pg files. Currently we write a simple pg file and test these functions through the webwork system. This is a little tedios. The error messages are hard to figure out, the webwork connection is timed out. It would be more productive to test these functions directly by perl. The problem is that the dialect of perl is a little different in pg files. Some commands are forbidden (like print) and there are some functions we'd like to use (like random and NchooseK). Is there a way to maybe create an include file that puts a regular perl script into pg mode. That is, it loads pg macro packages, forbids commands? The idea would be to have a high probability that a function would work when loaded in a pg file.

Nandor

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: development of perl functions for webwork  blueArrow
6/12/2005; 12:46:31 PM (reads: 1310, responses: 0)
It should be pretty easy to use "require" in a regular perl script to include .pl file macro commands and "use" to include the .pm modules.

Debugging complicated algorithms in a local perl environment will speed things up for sure, particularly for the development of macros. My experience is that with these kinds of macros you won't need to worry too much about using functions that are restricted in the .pg language. Basically .pg doesn't allow you access to I/O operations or to the system. The most common functions that you are not allowed to use are print and require. For the most part you probably want to design algorithm macros that don't use print at all and if you really need require, then you may need to change some of the packages required in global.conf. Access to the disk is also restricted for security reasons. If you absolutely need to store things on the disk you'll need to create special macros -- dangerousMacros.pl contains examples.

To design macros that do input/output one uses TEXT() instead of print. It may actually be easier to design this kind of macro using .pg files as you have been doing. For example the routines in PGnumericalmacros.pl file were mostly developed in regular perl -- then the I/O features were developed on .pg. In one case javaScript was used instead of perl.

In general it's best if a single macro is not involved both with a complicated algorithm and with input/output. For error messages use warn -- it's not fancy, but it's the best we have at the moment. A more sophisticated exception handling mechanism would be a useful addition to the .pg language and the webwork framework.

If there are only a few macros you are using -- e.g. random and NchooseK -- you can just copy their definitions into your own macro file for development purposes.

One common problem with switching subroutines from .pg files to .pl macro files: The handling of backslashes in these two files is different. In .pg files, where TeX is heavily used, a backslash is interpreted to be a TeX backslash. So for example in a .pg file a quoted string "\cos(x)" is a TeX command -- in practice this is accomplished by automatically doubling the backslash so that when perl first reads it the double backslash is replaced by a single backslash and then passed on to the TeX interpreter. Unfortunately this means that if you want a perl backslash in a .pg file you have to write it as $rh_hash = ~~%hash (which creates a reference to a hash and stores it in $rh_hash).

In a .pl file the automatic doubling of the backslash does not occur so the creation of a reference to a hash is $rh_hash = \%hash as in regular perl. On the other hand if you want to print cos(x) in TeX you'll need to dobule the backslash by hand: "\\cos(x)".

This means that if you develop a subroutine in a .pg file you'll need to replace all the ~~ instances with backslashes, and sometimes (less often) replace backslashes in strings with double backslashes when you transfer the subroutine to the .pl file. I'm always falling into this trap. You won't have this problem developing in regular perl.

Hope this helps.

I'm really interested in the macros you are developing. Let me know when you are ready and we can provide space in the CVS for them -- or a pointer to your own CVS if you prefer.

-- Mike

<| Post or View Comments |>