Forum archive 2000-2006

John Curran - Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't

John Curran - Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicHardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't topic started 9/28/2005; 9:19:21 AM
last post 9/29/2005; 3:32:28 PM
userJohn Curran - Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 9:19:21 AM (reads: 720, responses: 9)
Hi, I'm using WW on the hosted site. I have a student who can't generate the hard copy for his assignment. In particular, he's getting the message that the set is not assigned to him, although I can "act as" him while logged in as prof and access the problems & hardcopy. I assigned the sets to everyone under the Set Detail, Users Assigned to Set page; his ID is checked.

Here's his error message:

Can't generate hardcopy for set jwilsonjr!HW5-DiscreteRV for user jwilsonjr -- set is not assigned to that user.

Failed to rename 'hardcopy.pdf' to 'EMU_math370.jwilsonjr.jwilsonjr!HW5-DiscreteRV.pdf' in directory '/ww/htdocs/tmp/EMU_math370/hardcopy/work.OC9nQlwV':

Final hardcopy file '/ww/htdocs/tmp/EMU_math370/hardcopy/work.OC9nQlwV/hardcopy.pdf' not found after calling 'generate_hardcopy_pdf': No such file or directory You can also examine the following temporary files: hardcopy.log , hardcopy.aux , pdflatex.stderr , hardcopy.tex , pdflatex.stdout

<| Post or View Comments |>

userBob Byerly - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 10:56:48 AM (reads: 792, responses: 0)
Any chance the student is logging in with some case variation in his username? We used to get this message a lot in sections where the instructors assigned mixed-case usernames (e.g., JWilsonJR). Login authentication is apparently not case-sensitive (so the student could log in as say, jwilsonjr), but some other functions are case sensitive.

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 11:29:34 AM (reads: 802, responses: 0)
Hi John,

There is a bug in the new version of Hardcopy.pm that was just installed on hosted. We will try to get this fixed quickly.

Arnie

userSam Hathaway - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 11:49:24 AM (reads: 787, responses: 0)
John,

Is the set in question actually named "jwilsonjr!HW5-DiscreteRV", or is that part of the bug? That seems very odd for a set name.
-sam

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 12:00:45 PM (reads: 786, responses: 0)
Hi Sam,

Here is the error message from a course on devel.

# Can't generate hardcopy for set AaronPizer!0 for user AaronPizer -- set is not assigned to that user. # Failed to rename 'hardcopy.pdf' to 'apizer_course.AaronPizer.AaronPizer!0.pdf' in directory '/webwork/shared-courses/apizer_course/html/tmp/hardcopy/work.xD26EeFy': # Final hardcopy file '/webwork/shared-courses/apizer_course/html/tmp/hardcopy/work.xD26EeFy/hardcopy.pdf' not found after calling 'generate_hardcopy_pdf': No such file or directory

Arnie

userSam Hathaway - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 5:47:17 PM (reads: 774, responses: 0)
Problem is fixed in CVS.

userGavin LaRose - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/29/2005; 3:07:30 PM (reads: 810, responses: 0)
I'm now getting the error message below when trying to generate a Hardcopy. I'll investigate and see if I can figure out what's going on; other comments welcome.

Error messages

Can't locate String/ShellQuote.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/opt/www/webwork/pg/lib /opt/www/webwork/webwork2/lib
/opt/www/perllib [etc.]
/opt/www/apache/ /opt/www/apache/lib/perl) at
/opt/www/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Hardcopy.pm
line 31.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/opt/www/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Hardcopy.pm
line 31.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 502) line 1.

Call stack
The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

* in WeBWorK::Utils::runtime_use called at line 297 of
/opt/www/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm

Thanks,
Gavin

userMichael Gage - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/29/2005; 3:12:42 PM (reads: 802, responses: 0)
The newest version of Hardcopy.pm requires the CPAN module String::ShellQuote.pm

You can find it at

http://search.cpan.org/src/ROSCH/String-ShellQuote-1.03/

You can probably install it using the CPAN module, although I had some difficulty because my index was searching for version 1.02 which has been replaced by 1.03.

It is easy to install by hand.

userGavin LaRose - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/29/2005; 3:22:32 PM (reads: 811, responses: 0)

Ok, the problem is that a new and improved Perl module, String::ShellQuote, is now required for the system. As Mike posted as I posted this.

This was added in version 1.62. Sigh. I guess I figure out what breaks when I back-grade to 1.61 now. I should be able to get the module installed, but I'm unfortunately in a managed environment where I can't just go and install it myself.

Gavin

userMichael Gage - Re: Hardcopy generation error -- prof. can generate hardcopy, student can't  blueArrow
9/29/2005; 3:32:28 PM (reads: 815, responses: 0)
I don't think anything will break -- I've actually gone back and forth between Hardcopy.pm 1.61 and 1.62 several times in the last few days as we did the (final?) debugging.

-- Mike