WeBWorK Main Forum

reusing instructors

reusing instructors

by Hal Sadofsky -
Number of replies: 3

When I create a new course for an instructor who has previously used webwork, is there a way to import his identity from the previously used course?

Specifically, I'd like the instructor to be able to use the data about himself from the course he taught last term (including username and password), rather than logging in with a name and ID and then changing his password.

Does anyone know a sensible way to do this?

(I'd also like to be able to do this with students, but that is less important at the moment.)

Ultimately, if I can figure out how to use the CAS authentication module somehow, then all of this should be easier to avoid, but that is experimental still, I guess, and I don't know anything about the authentication side of things.

thanks, Hal
In reply to Hal Sadofsky

Re: reusing instructors

by Arnold Pizer -
Hi Hal,

I don't know how to do what you want.

However, the authentication module is used by a number of large places and you might want to inquire how it is working and how much customization, if any, was required. I believe the University of Michigan (contact Gavin LaRose <glarose@umich.edu>) has been using this for quite some time. I just talked to
Jeff Holt <jeff@virginia.edu> at Virginia and he said the University recently took over running their WeBWorK server and one thing they gained is WeBWorK now uses the authentication module. Jeff wouldn't know the technical details but he could put you in touch with the person that does.

Arnie
In reply to Arnold Pizer

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Hal and Arnie,

There is some information about how we use our central login system on the Wiki documentation, at http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Authentication

That might provide a good starting point for others who are interested in pursuing this. I am of course also happy to try and help as appropriate.

Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Hal Sadofsky -

Thanks Gavin and Arnie,

I'd actually spotted the authentication page in the wiki, but since what we'll use is CAS authentication, and that is listed as "under development" and down atthe bottom it says "The method check_cas is in the Authen module, available here soon" I'm sort of unclear about what version of WebWork this module is in.

We've got 2.4.5. Is check_cas in there, and working reasonably? Or is there a different version I want to be using for this purpose?

thanks, Hal