Forum archive 2000-2006

Gavin LaRose - pagerror, refresh gif files

Gavin LaRose - pagerror, refresh gif files

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicpagerror, refresh gif files topic started 11/7/2005; 1:55:56 PM
last post 11/8/2005; 2:50:43 PM
userGavin LaRose - pagerror, refresh gif files  blueArrow
11/7/2005; 1:55:56 PM (reads: 1096, responses: 6)
Hi all,

What is "pagerror.gif"? I'm finding a lot of error log messages from our Gateway test testing that complain about not finding a display module for pagerror.gif. But I can't figure out what pagerror.gif is supposed to be, or where it's supposed to be. Similarly for "refresh.gif".

Thanks,
Gavin

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: pagerror, refresh gif files  blueArrow
11/7/2005; 2:04:50 PM (reads: 1155, responses: 0)
Do you have a line number and script file name where the error is occuring?

-- Mike

userGavin LaRose - Re: pagerror, refresh gif files  blueArrow
11/7/2005; 2:10:36 PM (reads: 1170, responses: 0)
Hi Mike,

The log message is the following:

...[/webwork2/ma215f05/7/3/pagerror.gif] 
No display module found for path '/ma215f05/7/3/pagerror.gif/'.
at /opt/www/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm line 127.

Thanks,
Gavin

userMichael Gage - Re: pagerror, refresh gif files  blueArrow
11/7/2005; 2:25:35 PM (reads: 1139, responses: 0)
Hi Gavin,

Something --- hard to say what right at the moment --- is returning a url to the browser asking it to fetch the relative path pagerror.gif

Since the browser was last pointed to /webwork2/ma215f05/7/3 it assumes it needs /webwork2/ma215f05/7/3/paperror.gif and asks for it.

The dispatcher in WeBWorK.pm (and URL.pm) has no clue what is being asked for and gives this error.

I'm afraid I can't guess what error sends back a reference to paperror.gif -- probably something with in the bowels of the Apache server perhaps? You might try

locate pagerror.gif

and see if you find something.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Mike

11/7/2005; 3:33:06 PM (reads: 1143, responses: 0)
Hi Mike,

Thanks. With a little further investigation, it appears to be the case that

• the error is only generated by MSIE 6.0,
  • it is only generated on requests for /webwork2/ addresses (though it occurs for both homework and gateway test addresses),
  • it only occurs for requests for the ProblemSetList page, Problems in homeworks, and Gateway quizzes, and
  • it started when I upgraded WeBWorK from the CVS at the beginning of the semester.

I haven't tried upgrading from the CVS to see if some subtle change since the last time I did that has fixed the problem because we're "in production" and I don't want to elicit screams of protest if I break something.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Further announcements as events merit.

Gavin

userSam Hathaway - Re: pagerror, refresh gif files  blueArrow
11/7/2005; 10:17:33 PM (reads: 1149, responses: 0)
pagerror.gif is the name of the icon that IE shows on error pages (like when it can't load a page. It's usually located at res://C:WINDOWSSystem32shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif.

Here's someone who ends up with pagerror.gif appended to image URLs, but he was working with an IIS server: http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/vuln-dev/2003-q4/0138.html

Not much else forthcoming. I assume you've checked the HTML that webwork is sending and haven't found any reference to this mystery file.

11/8/2005; 2:50:43 PM (reads: 1185, responses: 0)
Hi Sam,

I went through with a find -exec grep pagerror.gif... in the WeBWorK directory and couldn't find anything, so I'm inclined to think that it's something to do with IE requesting the file for some reason. Thinking about it today, I'd bet that it's something to do with not finding some image that it needs from the images that jsMath mode uses to do its display. Not finding that, it looks for the "image not found" image, which of course doesn't exist either.

If this is the case, it's likely that when I update PG from the CVS there's a chance that the error may go away.

Thanks,
Gavin