Forum archive 2000-2006

christelle scharff - Wired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS

christelle scharff - Wired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS topic started 2/13/2006; 3:55:54 PM
last post 2/14/2006; 8:14:42 AM
userchristelle scharff - Wired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS  blueArrow
2/13/2006; 3:55:54 PM (reads: 494, responses: 4)
Hi,

We just moved WeBWorK 2 to be used with CVS and noticed that there are some wired characters/symbols that appear now.

For example â

WeBWorK â Course Administration

Did anybody meet that problem?

Thanks,

Christelle

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Wired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS  blueArrow
2/13/2006; 4:42:11 PM (reads: 603, responses: 0)
This looks like a character set problem of some sort. The email version of your posting looks fine: e.g. WeBWorK ? Course Administration

has an arrow in it.

Have you tried this on various browsers?

-- Mike

userchristelle scharff - Re: Wired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS  blueArrow
2/13/2006; 7:06:49 PM (reads: 587, responses: 0)
Yes I tried on different browsers and it is the same format. Instead of the array I have something like a "a" and a "cross". I am investigating further. Thanks Christelle

userMichael Gage - Re: Wired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS  blueArrow
2/13/2006; 11:43:18 PM (reads: 582, responses: 1)
Hi Christelle,

I've forwarded this to Sam. You can modify /webwork2/conf/templates/math/system.templates to make this go away for the browsers you are using, which are probably having trouble with the unicode character.

-- Mike

############################################# Mike,

The arrow is a unicode character. It's defined in math/system.template:

<!--#path style=TEXT text=" → "-->

Well behaved browsers will interpret this character correctly, since the template declares itself to be using the UTF-8 character set:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

The â characters that this person is seeing are what happens if the arrow is interpreted as ISO-8859-1 ("ISO Latin 1") rather than UTF-8.

It's possible that the browser is ignoring the charset option. In some browsers you can override the document character set.

It's also possible that the math/system.template file was corrupted at some point, perhaps by being opened in an editor as ISO-8859-1 and then saved as UTF-8.

For what it's worth, I tested this on Safari, Firefox, and WinIE without problems.

The quick fix is to replace the arrow in the template file with some other character. We used to use " > ".

Hope this helps. -sam

userarūnas Burdulis - Re: Wired Characters and Symbols Appearing After Moving to CVS  blueArrow
2/14/2006; 8:14:42 AM (reads: 712, responses: 0)
Apache directives AddCharset/AddDefaultCharset will also affect this. I suggest checking what is the current setting.

Sarunas