Forum archive 2000-2006

christelle scharff - Basic questions concerning the WeBWorK users

christelle scharff - Basic questions concerning the WeBWorK users

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicBasic questions concerning the WeBWorK users topic started 2/14/2006; 1:06:48 AM
last post 2/15/2006; 1:04:49 AM
userchristelle scharff - Basic questions concerning the WeBWorK users  blueArrow
2/14/2006; 1:06:48 AM (reads: 493, responses: 4)
Hi,

In WeBWorK 2:

Can we have several global_users?

Do we still have practice users?

What are bogus ssn? What is their use?

Can 2 students have the same student id? (In the docs it is written that one cannot but I tried by adding users in a class list file with the same ssn and using the interface and it worked - they didn't have the same login name of course). I wanted to check on this.

Thanks,

Christelle

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Basic questions concerning the WeBWorK users  blueArrow
2/14/2006; 8:04:49 PM (reads: 593, responses: 0)
If you are using mysql (which I recommend) then you should be creating courses in the sql_single mode (the other modes, sql, and gdbm are around only for backward compatibility -- they will eventually disappear) In that case you should have zero global_users. A global_user was used by the gdbm database to simulate a problem set that had not yet been assigned to anyone.

Practice users operate as before. Any user named practice1, practice2, etc. is treated as a guest and their scores are not remembered. If you import the classlist demoCourse.lst it will automatically create several practice users for you.

Two students can have the same student ID since student ID's are not the primary key in WeBWorK's database. There is some question as to whether this is a good idea from the point of view checking potential errors in the classlist. We could add an extra check to insure that no two student ID's are the same in a given course. There are pluses and minuses to this. See Should Student IDs be unique?

In WeBWorK1.9 where ID's had to be unique one had to assign a fictious student ID to users such as the practice users. This is no longer necessary in WeBWorK2 -- all of the practice users could be assigned the same student ID: 111-11-1111 without problem. This would change of course if we start requiring a unique student ID for each student.

userSam Hathaway - Re: Basic questions concerning the WeBWorK users  blueArrow
2/14/2006; 10:18:20 PM (reads: 622, responses: 0)
I usually set the student ID of non-student users to be the same as their user ID.

userMichael Gage - Re: Basic questions concerning the WeBWorK users  blueArrow
2/14/2006; 10:44:27 PM (reads: 618, responses: 0)
That also sets the default password to be the same as their userID. This is fine as long as it is a real user who soon changes their password. For a practice user practice1 this sets their password to, practice1 but that's still ok since the passwords for practice users are never checked.

The only time this practice would cause problems is if one sets up a user account for a user who does not then login soon and change their password.

userSam Hathaway - Re: Basic questions concerning the WeBWorK users  blueArrow
2/15/2006; 1:04:49 AM (reads: 608, responses: 0)
I've been using the extended classlist format that allows for a password field, and setting that password field to an invalid value.0