Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - asu setLinearModels ??

Lars Jensen - asu setLinearModels ??

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicasu setLinearModels ?? topic started 5/26/2006; 12:31:49 PM
last post 5/31/2006; 2:16:40 PM
userLars Jensen - asu setLinearModels ??  blueArrow
5/26/2006; 12:31:49 PM (reads: 787, responses: 6)
Where have the asu_problib/setLinearModels problems gone? I have noticed that the vast majority of asu problems have been merged into the rochester_problib, but some are missing, including those in setLinearModels

Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: asu setLinearModels ??  blueArrow
5/26/2006; 3:45:10 PM (reads: 927, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

The library of database problems (in cvs it is under ASU, database_problems) should now include everything from asu_problib (plus some others like the Rochester problem library, Virginia, CSULB). Accordingly, everything has been removed from asu_problib.

John

userLars Jensen - Re: asu setLinearModels ??  blueArrow
5/30/2006; 4:35:19 PM (reads: 914, responses: 0)
Hi John,

What is the database_problems area under asu? Is this part of a new organization of webwork problems?

And why are they under asu, with sub-directories named Rochester, Dartmouth, etc?

Just trying to understand the system...

Lars.

5/30/2006; 6:45:34 PM (reads: 891, responses: 0)
Hi,

The directory database_problems contains the current version of the "National Problem Library" or the "Database Problem Library". We are still struggling with finding a good name. These are the problems you get in the Library Browser if you click on the button labelled Problem Library. They are really meant to be accessed that way, as opposed to browsing through the directories. The directory database_problems contains the files you need to set up the mysql database used by webwork to find these problems.

The naming scheme below database_problems is based on where we found various problems. It is all under asu mainly for convenience.

John

userLars Jensen - Re: asu setLinearModels ??  blueArrow
5/31/2006; 3:20:49 AM (reads: 894, responses: 0)
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Does your answer imply that the once the National Problem Library" has been established, the rochester_problib directory , the osu_problib directory, etc. are going to be phased out just like the asu_problib directory seems to have been? -I'm concerned about having to edit problem paths in a number of problem set we have built in the past...

Lars.

userMichael Gage - Re: asu setLinearModels ??  blueArrow
5/31/2006; 1:06:55 PM (reads: 895, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

One trick you can use to minimize the number of modifications you need to make to existing problems and problem sets is the following:

My problem paths look something like

rochesterLibrary/setAlgebra00Foo/foobar1.pg

where myCourse/templates/rochesterLibrary --> /webwork/rochester_problib

By changing the link named rochesterLibrary, which is in my course templates directory, to

rochesterLibrary --> /webwork/database_problems/Rochester/

I'm still pointing to the same problem, and I don't have to make any modifications to my problem sets.

I'm afraid that we'll need to be prepared for at least a few changes as we try to design a national problem library that will satisfy the wide variety of requirements that are needed for the various uses of WeBWorK.

-- Mike

5/31/2006; 2:16:40 PM (reads: 896, responses: 0)
Hi,

I deleted the older ASU problems because they were out of date, and what was left was now redundant. It is up to other people whether or not they want to maintain their respective repositories.

As far as problem paths go, I can see that it can be an issue. Within the national problem library itself, we have started a mechanism for tracking this for times when a problem is removed because it is redundant (i.e., we track the old path and the working path to an existing problem).

John