Forum archive 2000-2006

Andrew Grall - Webwork 2.2.0 and Apache 2.0.x

Andrew Grall - Webwork 2.2.0 and Apache 2.0.x

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWebwork 2.2.0 and Apache 2.0.x topic started 6/9/2006; 5:57:12 PM
last post 8/3/2006; 7:12:43 PM
userAndrew Grall - Webwork 2.2.0 and Apache 2.0.x  blueArrow
6/9/2006; 5:57:12 PM (reads: 430, responses: 2)
Hi -

We are looking to install webwork at the institution where I will be teaching this fall. Unfortunately, all of their Linux servers are running Apache 2.0.x, and the installation instructions say that webwork requires Apache 1.3 - and "Efforts are underway to make it compatible with Apache 2".

Have these efforts been completed? Any thoughts?

Thanks. Andy grallaj@earthlink.net

<| Post or View Comments |>

userGavin LaRose - Re: Webwork 2.2.0 and Apache 2.0.x  blueArrow
6/12/2006; 8:49:24 AM (reads: 550, responses: 0)
Hi Andy,

I think Mike and Sam will have a better answer to this than I, but we did put some effort into trying to get WeBWorK 2 working on apache 2 last fall. I believe that we found that we were unable to get the Apache::Request module to work correctly, even in compatibility mode. That is, we could get as far as having the WeBWorK 2 system come up, but couldn't get it to work correctly. We also had trouble with some other Perl modules required for WeBWorK, but I think that may have been problems compiling it for a 64bit processor, rather than getting them to work with WeBWorK.

We ended up compiling an apache 1.3.x server and using that for the machines that have to run WeBWorK, which isn't really a good long-term solution.

Gavin

userMichael Gage - Re: Webwork 2.2.0 and Apache 2.0.x  blueArrow
8/3/2006; 7:12:43 PM (reads: 323, responses: 0)
We now have an experimental version of webwork2 running with apache2. Still beta software but available for those who are tech savvy and adventerous. Write Sam sh002i at math dot rochester dot edu for details (or gage at math dot rochester dot edu after Sept 1)