Forum archive 2000-2006

Dan Kirkpatrick - when compatible with Apache 2.x?

Dan Kirkpatrick - when compatible with Apache 2.x?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicwhen compatible with Apache 2.x? topic started 6/23/2006; 11:11:51 AM
last post 7/14/2006; 9:47:05 AM
userDan Kirkpatrick - when compatible with Apache 2.x?  blueArrow
6/23/2006; 11:11:51 AM (reads: 622, responses: 5)
We're running webwork 1.9 on Apache/2.0.46 although webwork 2.2.1 requires Apache 1.3?!

We can't run two different instances of apache and webwork on same box easily can we?

How far off is webwork 2.x working with apache > 2.x ?

Thanks, Dan

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: when compatible with Apache 2.x?  blueArrow
6/23/2006; 7:39:25 PM (reads: 697, responses: 0)
Hi Dan,

I'm currently working on porting WeBWorK 2 to Apache 2 with a non-threaded MPM (Prefork). I think this can be done and at at least somewhat tested by the end of the summer.

Why a non-threaded MPM? WeBWorK makes extensive use of the Perl module Safe.pm. Apparently, Safe.pm is incompatible with Perl's ithreads threading mechanism. The problem here is that ithreads are required if mod_perl is to be used with a threaded MPM (such as the Worker MPM).

So this is an incremental step towards full Apache 2 compatibity. On the bright side, swapping out MPMs is trivial compared to replacing Apache 2 with Apache 1.

WeBWorK 1.9 can run under Apache 2 because it is a CGI application, not a mod_perl application. mod_perl is much more closely tied to Apache, which allows for certain efficiencies, but also necessitates changes between Apache 1's mod_perl and Apache 2's mod_perl2.

If you're willing to do some beta testing, I can let you know once I have an initial version of WeBWorK/mod_perl2 working.
-sam

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: when compatible with Apache 2.x?  blueArrow
6/25/2006; 8:55:13 AM (reads: 686, responses: 0)
We can't run two different instances of apache and webwork on same box easily can we?

You should be able to, yes. You need to run the second one on a different port, that's all. I've seen port 8080 used for this. You would reference this by http://myserver.edu:8080/ and could use your main course-listing page to include links that contain :8080 so that student would not need to be concerned with this.

Davide

userSam Hathaway - Re: when compatible with Apache 2.x?  blueArrow
6/25/2006; 2:51:58 PM (reads: 669, responses: 0)
The main problem with running Apache 1 and Apache 2 side-by-side is that many operating systems won't allow you to install them both from packages at the same time. So you'll probably end up having to install one of them from source, specifying a custom installation prefix. On our development machine, I installed Apache 2 from source, configuring it as follows:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --with-mpm=prefork --enable-so --enable-logio --enable-userdir=shared --enable-ssl=shared --with-ssl=/usr/local --enable-deflate=shared --enable-speling=shared --enable-include=shared --enable-rewrite=shared --enable-cgid=shared --enable-vhost-alias=shared --enable-info=shared --enable-suexec=shared --enable-unique-id=shared --enable-usertrack=shared --enable-expires=shared --enable-cern-meta=shared --enable-mime-magic=shared --enable-headers=shared --enable-auth-anon=shared --enable-proxy=shared --enable-dav=shared --enable-dav-fs=shared --enable-auth-dbm=shared --enable-cgi=shared --enable-asis=shared --enable-imap=shared --enable-ext-filter=shared --enable-authn-dbm=shared --enable-authn-anon=shared --enable-authz-dbm=shared --enable-auth-digest=shared --enable-actions=shared --enable-file-cache=shared --enable-cache=shared --enable-disk-cache=shared

The important parts are --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --with-mpm=prefork --enable-so.

After installing Apache, I configured mod_perl2 like so:

perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs

The only customization I had to do in httpd.conf was to change the port from 80 to 81.

Hope this helps.
-sam

userDan Kirkpatrick - Re: when compatible with Apache 2.x?  blueArrow
7/13/2006; 12:45:42 PM (reads: 574, responses: 0)
Thanks. We're going with apache 1.3.x running on a different port simultaneous with webwork 1.x under apache 2.x

userDan Kirkpatrick - Re: when compatible with Apache 2.x?  blueArrow
7/14/2006; 9:47:05 AM (reads: 573, responses: 0)
Sure, would try some beta testing when you have one working. May not check here often enough, so feel free to email me. I am setting it up under a different port with apache 1.3 for the time being.

Thanks, Dan

>If you're willing to do some beta testing, I can let you know once I >have an initial version of WeBWorK/mod_perl2 working. >-sam