Forum archive 2000-2006

Andras Balogh - dvipng 1.5 under fedora 4

Andras Balogh - dvipng 1.5 under fedora 4

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicdvipng 1.5 under fedora 4 topic started 7/13/2006; 6:32:50 PM
last post 8/5/2006; 10:36:59 AM
userAndras Balogh - dvipng 1.5 under fedora 4  blueArrow
7/13/2006; 6:32:50 PM (reads: 361, responses: 4)
Does anybody know what changed recently in dvipng 1.5?
I had an update in May 2006 and the equations are broken ever since.
The error message is
* cd /opt/webwork2/tmp/ImageGenerator.9OSVAnvg && /usr/bin/latex equation > latex.out 2> latex.err failed to generate a DVI file at /opt/pg/lib/WeBWorK/PG/ImageGenerator.pm line 355.

* cd /opt/webwork2/tmp/ImageGenerator.9OSVAnvg && /usr/bin/dvipng -bgTransparent -D120 -q -depth equation > dvipng.out 2> dvipng.err returned non-zero status 256: No such file or directory at /opt/pg/lib/WeBWorK/PG/ImageGenerator.pm line 361.

Thanks, Andras

<| Post or View Comments |>

userSam Hathaway - Re: dvipng 1.5 under fedora 4  blueArrow
7/14/2006; 12:43:01 AM (reads: 434, responses: 0)
We're using dvipng 1.5 here with no problems.

Are you sure it's not a problem with latex? The first error suggests that latex failed. dvipng failing is to be expected if latex doesn't give it the necessary input.

Set $WeBWorK::PG::ImageGenerator::PreserveTempFiles to 1 in webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Constants.pm (and restart Apache) to have it leave the temp files. Then look at latex.out, latex.err, dvipng.out, and dvipng.err.

Hope this helps.
-sam

userAndras Balogh - Re: dvipng 1.5 under fedora 4  blueArrow
7/14/2006; 9:20:12 AM (reads: 423, responses: 0)
Thank you.
You were right, it was a LaTeX error due to a missing preview.sty file.
That was, again, caused by an automatic update of LaTeX.
I guess I better stop updating a perfectly working system.

Andras

userMatthew Lynn - Re: dvipng 1.5 under fedora 4  blueArrow
8/5/2006; 1:48:52 AM (reads: 346, responses: 0)
How do I go about replacing preview.sty? Where can I find it and where do I put it?

userMichael Gage - Re: dvipng 1.5 under fedora 4  blueArrow
8/5/2006; 10:36:59 AM (reads: 352, responses: 0)
This is a TeX .sty file:

This style file is part of the AUCTeX project with home page <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex>. The project page at <URL:http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/auctex> offers downloads and anonymous CVS access for cutting edge versions. It is part of AUCTeX's preview-latex module: since AUCTeX's download area at <URL:ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex> is mirrored at CTAN:support/auctex, you can find preview-latex tarballs there, with separate README and INSTALL files. Older versions can be found at CTAN:support/preview-latex. Starting with AUCTeX 11.81, preview-latex will also be distributed as an integral part of AUCTeX, requiring no separate download. The unbundled preview.sty can be downloaded from CTAN:macros/latex/contrib/preview if required.