Forum archive 2000-2006

Andrew Knightly - Email trouble: connection rate limit exceeded

Andrew Knightly - Email trouble: connection rate limit exceeded

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicEmail trouble: connection rate limit exceeded topic started 10/4/2006; 9:36:58 AM
last post 10/16/2006; 9:49:41 AM
userAndrew Knightly - Email trouble: connection rate limit exceeded  blueArrow
10/4/2006; 9:36:58 AM (reads: 559, responses: 4)
I regularly email my class from webwork. There's been no trouble, even for classes of 80 students or so, until a couple weeks ago. Now if I send email to the class I get dozens of errors of the following type:

Failed to open the mailer for user leibfarth: Service not available. Reply: 421 4.3.2 Connection rate limit exceeded.

For now, I can get around the problem by sending emails in packets of 15 or so. But even then I need to wait a few minutes between packets, or I get the same errors. This also means I send mail to students who already dropped the class, since they show up in the manual email menu.

So far we have no idea what could have suddenly caused this problem. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks a lot! Andy

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Email trouble: connection rate limit exceeded  blueArrow
10/4/2006; 11:36:00 AM (reads: 623, responses: 0)
Most likely this is a change by your smtp server. It might be an anti-spam measure that prevents one source from sending multiple emails too rapidly. Talk with the administrator of the smtp server to see what can be arranged. You might be able to get an exception for webwork. If necessary we could make webwork send out its emails more slowly -- but we'd have to put a delay in the SendMail.pm code.

userAndrew Knightly - Re: Email trouble: connection rate limit exceeded  blueArrow
10/4/2006; 2:16:28 PM (reads: 615, responses: 0)
Hi Mike, You were exactly right- spam prevention. we're working out a solution with the people in charge. Thanks a lot. Andy

userMichael Gage - Re: Email trouble: connection rate limit exceeded  blueArrow
10/4/2006; 2:31:28 PM (reads: 626, responses: 0)
I'd be curious to hear what you come up with. Others may run into this as the local smtp providers tighten things up.

userAndrew Knightly - Re: Email trouble: connection rate limit exceeded  blueArrow
10/16/2006; 9:49:41 AM (reads: 559, responses: 0)
Below is the message I got regarding what was done. (Not sure if this helps or not since I don't understand it.) ------------------------

I have reconfigured the webwork system to use itself as the SMTP host. And I have also installed and configured sendmail.