Features & Development

SMTP authentication

SMTP authentication

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Number of replies: 1

So, I thought I'd take a crack at adding the ability to send authenticated email, as mentioned in this archived post and its related bug report. A challenging task, since Perl is mostly read-only for me ;).

Currently, WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Feedback.pm uses a filehandle to write the body of the email. Since Mail::Sender doesn't support TLS, I'm trying to use Email::Sender, the successor to Email::Send, which Sam mentioned in the report. For the actual email creation, though, I'm using (atm) Email::Simple::Creator, which just takes in a simple string for the body of the message.

My question, then, is regarding the best way to go about this. I looked a little into anonymous filehandles, but that didn't seem to work like I wanted; would it be better to just incrementally store the text in a variable? If so, what sort of changes will I need to be making from the print statements?

As always, any help is appreciated.

In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

Re: SMTP authentication

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Well, I've got something working now. I'll transfer any discussion about it to the bugtracker, though, so I'd appreciate it if you guys added yourselves to the CC list. ;)