Miscellaneous

placement of "Re:" in subject lines

placement of "Re:" in subject lines

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Number of replies: 2
Now that I've discovered Gmail's nifty multiple-inbox feature, I'm actually starting to read some of the mailing-lists I'm subscribed to, rather than just archiving them out of sight. Because of this, I noticed today that reponses to posts in this forum are given subject lines in the form of
UsingWWW: Re: [subject]
which has the unfortunate effect of causing all the replies to be grouped together in one conversation whilst leaving the original post elsewhere in my inbox.

Now, I have no idea how this software is set up or how easy it is to change that, nor whether it would greatly affect others who are subscribed to this course-forum-list. I'm interested, however, in learning, and if it both is easy and has a neglible effect on others, I'd like to see it changed.

In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

Re: placement of "Re:" in subject lines

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Trying to catch up on some backlogs got this itch acting up more than usual. So, just to reiterate, here are my questions (with a 'false' answer at any point breaking out of the list).

1. Is anyone heavily reliant upon the current structure of the subject lines? I can imagine, for instance, that one may be using a mail client that only supports filtering by the start of a subject, and then would be displeased to have all replies not be caught by their webwork filter, or somesuch.

2. Is it feasible to change this, without restructuring the entire internals of whatever software is responsible for the sending of the emails?

3. Where does this code live? Is it a part of Moodle, or a custom modification? How would I get access to do some hacking on it, so that I could (hopefully) submit a working patch?
In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

Re: placement of "Re:" in subject lines

by Michael Gage -
3. Where does this code live? Is it a part of Moodle, or a custom modification? How would I get access to do some hacking on it, so that I could (hopefully) submit a working patch?
We're using the vanilla version of the Moodle forum module. Docs are at http://moodle.org. We're using it out of the box.

I don't know the answer to 2. If we can change the title simply, e.g. by setting a configuration parameter then I'd be happy to change. Extensive hacking would be difficult to maintain as the moodle code changes.

There is an RSS feed for this forum -- can that be of help?