WeBWorK Main Forum

Login Page layout

Login Page layout

by Raghu Gompa -
Number of replies: 4
Dear Friends,

Is it possible to change the login page layout? More specifically, can we utilize the page to include some information about the course? I know that login_info.txt can be utilized to use only the right side of the page. Can we do more?

Awaiting your help.

Raghu
In reply to Raghu Gompa

Re: Login Page layout

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Raghu,

What other type of information were you thinking about including? The Login Content Generator has access to all of the information in the Course Environment, so it could be readily edited to show more of that.

Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Raghu Gompa -
Dear Gavin,

Thank you very much for your post. I use the login page to provide some helpful information for the students. (eg. What can be entered as an answer to a WeBWorK problem? Links to Student Guide, Links to class notes, etc. )

You can take a look at one of my WeBWorK pages:

http://hosted.webwork.rochester.edu/webwork2/jsu-112/

As the login page is divided into three columns, I could only use the right column with login_info.txt. The middle column has more space and is under utilized (in my humble opinion).

I am not sure how I can use login content generator.

Raghu
In reply to Raghu Gompa

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Raghu,

Thanks. I understand your question much better now. Without actually going in and changing programming code in WeBWorK, the layout of the login page is going to stay the same as it currently is. Changing the actual layout of the page is therefore not easy given the structure of the WeBWorK code.

I can think of at least two ways of thinking about changing the appearance of the page beyond this, however, and those with more understanding than I may have better suggestions still.

First is the theme and stylesheet that are used to determine what the page looks like. These are set in the global.conf file, and are determined by the variables $defaultTheme (by default, = "math") and $defaultThemeTemplate (by default, = "system"). The "math" theme then uses the math.css stylesheet (in /.../webwork2/htdocs/css), which sets things like the width of the info box, etc. By tweaking the definitions there the widths of the boxes can be changed easily, and other CSS based changes can be made.

Second is more complicated. The Login ContentGenerator is the WeBWorK module that actually generates that page, which means that by changing it one could have different output on the page. The idea that comes to my mind is that it would be possible to have a second text file inclusion there, say below the login fields. However, the problem with that is that the amount of stuff in that area changes depending on the course (e.g., depending on whether guest logins are allowed), which could result in the center section of the login page getting very full too.

Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Raghu Gompa -
Dear Gavin,

Thank you very much for your detailed information. I now understand how login page is generated and what is involved to make any changes.

Sincerely,
Raghu