WeBWorK Main Forum

Can't locate object method "cmp" and memory-ballooning problems

Can't locate object method "cmp" and memory-ballooning problems

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Number of replies: 2
While trying to render most problems in our webwork install, I receive an error similar to the following:

Can't locate object method "cmp" via package "Value::Formula=HASH(0xbe9051c)" (perhaps you forgot to load "Value::Formula=HASH(0xbe9051c)"?) at line 194 of [PG]/macros/parserMultiAnswer.pl Died within MultiAnswer::new called at line 2 of (eval 1703) from within main::MultiAnswer called at line 69 of [TMPL]/setModLesson01.1SkillsA/Problem1.pg

The entire output, including the offending problem, can be viewed at http://dpaste.com/hold/217470/ .

Some other problems produce an even worse (for me) result: the apache process responsible for handling the request hangs and balloons up to 3 gigs (my real+swap) in a matter of 30 seconds, requiring me to kill it off.

I can't say if the two problems are directly related, but they both appeared sometime in the last week. The only relevant change I made in that time was a full upgrade of CPAN modules (unfortunately, quite a few, making it rather difficult to see if any one of them is a cause).

I was running rel-2-4-patches from cvs (not updated in a bit); changing over to the new subversion code base (still 2-4-patches) had no effect. Perl 5.8.8 on CentOS.
In reply to Xiong Chiamiov

Re: Can't locate object method "cmp" and memory-ballooning problems

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Xiong,

The hanging process and ballooning memory use sounds like the bug in Safe.pm that is discussed in the installation forum, http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2292 . Can you try downgrading Safe.pm to see if that's the problem?

The other errors may or may not be related; they aren't of the ilk that were reported on the thread noted above, but could be related.

Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

Re: Can't locate object method "cmp" and memory-ballooning problems

by Xiong Chiamiov -
Awesome, that seems to have fixed both of those issues. I'm not sure how I missed that other thread, but thanks for pointing me towards it.

If anyone else is not as familiar with the cpan shell as they should be, like I am, downgrading is a simple `install R/RG/RGARCIA/Safe-2.19.tar.gz`.