WeBWorK Problems

% sign and Hardcopy badness

% sign and Hardcopy badness

by Geoff Goehle -
Number of replies: 3
Maybe I'm not using the right syntax, but I'm having problems with % signs. When you view problems with a % on the web, the % gets translated like normal. However, when you generate a hard copy the % gets turned into a Latex comment. If you use \% then the % is correct in the hard copy but is \% in the html.

Anyone know the correct solution to this (aside from using "percent" instead of "%")

In reply to Geoff Goehle

Re: % sign and Hardcopy badness

by Danny Glin -
The trick is to use $PERCENT. Webwork then translates into the appropriate syntax for each display mode.
See http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Display_Macros for a full list of such symbols.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Dick Lane -
\( 85 $PERCENT \) is fine for screen display.  For hardcopy, it evokes

========  begin quote from Hardcopy Generator  ========
First error in TeX log is:
! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text> 
                $
l.110 

I've inserted a begin-math/end-math symbol since I think
you left one out. Proceed, with fingers crossed.
========  end quote from Hardcopy Generator  ========

My stop-gap remedy is  \( 85 \)$PERCENT which produces a discernible change of fonts.  [I have not tried a variant using PERCENT() because that would be even more awkward to type (and decipher when reading source-code).]

In reply to Dick Lane

by Michael Gage -

Hmmm

perhaps one can change the TeX version of  $PERCENT so that it uses the tex  \ensuremath command?

then it could be used inside  math mode -- in fact it would always think it was in math mode

If some one can do some experimenting in TeX to find the most desirable behavior I can change $PERCENT's

TeX version to behave that way.

-- Mike