WeBWorK Main Forum

Get an error "The spreadsheet file report_grades.msg cannot be found. "

Get an error "The spreadsheet file report_grades.msg cannot be found. "

by Pan Luo -
Number of replies: 5
I get the following error when viewing the "grades" section: The spreadsheet file /home/www/webwork/courses/MATH104/templates/email/report_grades.msg cannot be found.

Any solutions? Thanks!
In reply to Pan Luo

Re: Get an error "The spreadsheet file report_grades.msg cannot be found. "

by Pan Luo -
Additional information.

Screenshot attached. The message appears below the grades table.

Message is generated from /webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Grades.pm
On line 96 in function scoring_info:
return "There is no additional grade information. The spreadsheet file $filePath cannot be found." unless -e "$scoringDirectory/$merge_file";

I'm guessing it's just some feature we're not using, does anybody know what it is?

Attachment webwork.png
In reply to Pan Luo

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Pan,

I'm not an expert on this function, but I believe this is a mundane warning message. The WeBWorK system supports uploading additional grades to be included in the grades report, and I think this may be the message indicating that there is no such file.

Gavin
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Hal Sadofsky -

So this would be my guess to, but now I'm interested in using this feature (if it is one) and I can't find anyplace that it is documented. Does anyone know where I should be looking?

Hal
In reply to Hal Sadofsky

by Michael Gage -
It's an undocumented feature that was mostly used by me. Now-a-days I tend to use the moodle-webwork bridge one scheme and use the moodle gradebook so this feature has become somewhat redundant.

I'll try to write semi-complete documents up on the wiki -- but the idea is the same as if you send an email message to your students which merges grade information from the spreadsheet. (There are documents on how to do that.
see http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/A_day_in_the_life_of_a_WeBWorK_instructor#Sending_Email_to_Students )

If you save this email with file name: report_grades.msg then it gets picked up and displayed whenever a student views their grade in WeBWorK using the link in the upper left margin. (You don't actually have to send the email.). The email file is in the email directory, the corresponding merge file spreadsheet is in the scoring directory with the name specified in composing the email file.

What I've written above is essentially right, but I don't have time to check that I've gotten all the details right now. If someone gets this to work and feels like posting more detailed directions on the wiki please feel free to do so. I'll get to it eventually, but perhaps not that soon. :-)

-- Mike
In reply to Pan Luo

by Malcolm Harper -
If all that you want to do is prevent the error from appearing to students then
  • put an empty report_grades.msg file into the course's templates/email directory
  • put an empty report_grades_data.csv into the course's scoring directory
You would have to do this for every course, so perhaps it is better to do in the model courses.