We are very excited to announce the release of WeBWorK 2.4.9 and the redesign of the WeBWorK website. The redesign can be viewed at http://webwork.maa.org/ (or http://webwork.maa.org/home ). You can still get to the WeBWorK wiki by clicking the "Documentation Wiki" tag at the top of the home page, or by typing http://webwork.maa.org/wiki.
These web pages were produced by Jason Aubrey at University of Missouri with help from Maia Henley at MAA and additional help from the rest of the WeBWorK team.
Thanks very much.
Please take a look at the pages and tell us what you think. Send suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org for the front pages. You are encouraged to participate and help update the wiki pages yourselves.
WeBWorK 2.4.9 is the culmination of more than a year of added features and bug fixes.
- both student answers and the correct answers are now typeset (and tooltips have been added which allow you to inspect, copy and paste the original non-typeset input ),
- new extensions to the API make it easier to create WeBWorK questions with Flash applets, Java applets, GeoGebra applets or the new HTML5 graphics.
- new web based commands allow administrators to archive, unarchive and upgrade courses from the web.
- Instructors too can archive and download their own course for safe keeping.
- there is a new API which allows external editors to be used when authoring questions,
- there is a new dialect of PG called PGML, new Contexts and parserMacros and much more.
Those who regularly update their servers from the "trunk" will find that they already have many of these features available on their servers. In preparing the release over the last few months
our emphasis has been on taking care of loose ends, cleaning up confusing code and most importantly documenting the changes that have been made since verison 2.4.7.
http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Release_notes_for_WeBWorK_2.4.9 provides an extensive summary of the changes and bug fixes and links to more in-depth descriptions of the new features.
Upgrade from svn
For notes on the up grade procedure see http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Upgrading_WeBWorK.
Pay attention to updating the configuration files
database.conffiles, since there have been several changes to add configuration options for new features.
Switch from cvs to svn
For those who have not yet used the new svn repository system there are instructions on how to switch from the cvs repository to the svn repository: See http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Converting_a_CVS_checkout_to_SVN as well as other articles in the SVN category http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Category:SVN .
For those that prefer to install from a tarball these can downloaded from our site on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openwebwork/ Be sure to get both the pg files and the webwork2 files in the 2.4.9 directory.
We hope that these new features and the expanded documentation will be helpful to all those using WeBWorK in their classes and those writing new questions to add to our NationalProblemLibrary.
-- Mike Gage
-- Jason Aubrey
and the rest of the WeBWorK Team