WeBWorK Main Forum

edited course.conf, cannot proceed at attempted log in

edited course.conf, cannot proceed at attempted log in

by Murray Eisenberg -
Number of replies: 1
At the urging of our local administrator, I edited course.conf so as to change send_mail permission for user role ta. But I think I may have erroneously used

%permissionLevels(send_mail => "ta");

instead of what I take to be the proper syntax

%permissionLevels = (send_mail => "ta");

Now when I log in I get the error message, shown below, saying my Username or Password is invalid. But I'm quite sure I have those correct (they are the same as work for another course, on the same server, where nothing is amiss).

Although there's a Continue button within the error page, clicking it just takes me back to the same error page.

Is this something that only the administrator can fix? How?

The error message s as follows:

Warning -- there may be something wrong with this question. Please inform your instructor including the warning messages below.

Invalid user ID or password.

Please enter your username and password for MATH_331_2_F09 below:

If you check Remember Me your login information will be remembered by the browser you are using, allowing you to visit WeBWorK pages without typing your user name and password (until your session expires). This feature is not safe for public workstations, untrusted machines, and machines over which you do not have direct control.

Username:
Password:
Remember Me
WeBWorK Warnings

WeBWorK has encountered warnings while processing your request. If this occured when viewing a problem, it was likely caused by an error or ambiguity in that problem. Otherwise, it may indicate a problem with the WeBWorK system itself. If you are a student, report these warnings to your professor to have them corrected. If you are a professor, please consult the warning output below for more information.
Warning messages

* Activity 'login' not found in %permissionLevels -- assuming no permission. at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authz.pm line 219.
In reply to Murray Eisenberg

Re: edited course.conf, cannot proceed at attempted log in

by Danny Glin -
The problem with what you've added is that it did exactly what you feared.
You have replaced the complete list of permissions for the course with a hash containing just a single permission.
What you want is something like the following instead:
$permissionLevels{send_mail} = 'ta';
IIRC, the 'send_mail' permission refers to being able to send email from within a pg problem (for essay questions, etc.). Are you trying to change who can use the "email professor" button? If so, you should be changing the 'submit_feedback' permission instead (which can be done from the Course Configuration link on the web interface).