WeBWorK Main Forum

Webwork 2.4.9 upgrade errors

Webwork 2.4.9 upgrade errors

by Lars Jensen -
Number of replies: 6
Hi everyone,

We are getting some errors after upgrading to 2.4.9. I follow the directions, and first login to the admin course to upgrade the database. Then, after I login to a regular course and click on a homework assignment, I get errors like this (any help is appreciated):

Warning messages

• Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 596.
  • Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 596.
  • not defined formatDateTime('1226537340', '') WeBWorK::PG::Local /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/PG/Local.pm 71 WeBWorK::PG::Local::new_helper 1 0 1538 UUUUUUUUUUUUUU at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 596.
  • not defined formatDateTime('1274078700', '') WeBWorK::PG::Local /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/PG/Local.pm 71 WeBWorK::PG::Local::new_helper 1 0 1538 UUUUUUUUUUUUUU at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 596.
  • not defined formatDateTime('1274079000', '') WeBWorK::PG::Local /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/PG/Local.pm 71 WeBWorK::PG::Local::new_helper 1 0 1538 UUUUUUUUUUUUUU at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 596.

After the upgrade when I first login to the admin course and after upgrading the courses, I still get errors like this:

upgrade m095_farrell sql_single Directory structure or permissions need to be repaired. Database tables ok upgrade m095_jensen sql_single Directory structure or permissions need to be repaired. Database tables ok upgrade m095_kim sql_single Directory structure or permissions need to be repaired. Database tables ok
Then, after clicking the "Upgrade courses" button, I get errors under each course like these:

Database tables are ok

Directory structure
  • DATA => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/DATA rwx
  • email => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/templates/email rwx
  • html => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/html rwx
  • html_images => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/html/images missing
  • html_temp => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/html/tmp rwx
  • logs => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/logs rwx
  • macros => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/templates/macros rwx
  • mailmerge => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/DATA/mailmerge rwx
  • root => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen rwx
  • scoring => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/scoring rwx
  • templates => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/templates rwx
  • tmpEditFileDir => /opt/webwork/courses/m095_jensen/templates/tmpEdit rwx

Directory structure is missing directories or the webserver lacks sufficient privileges.

This error goes away if I manually add the html/images directory, so this is not a major issue.

Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

Re: Webwork 2.4.9 upgrade errors

by Lars Jensen -
Hi again,

Now, when trying to restart apache2, I get the error below, and as a result, apache2 doesn't start.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lars.

Restarting web server apache2 webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server is starting
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK root directory set to /opt/webwork/webwork2 in webwork2/conf/webwork.apache2-config
webwork.apache2-config: The following locations and urls are set in webwork2/conf/global.conf
webwork.apache2-config: PG root directory set to /opt/webwork/pg
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server userID is www-data
webwork.apache2-config: WeBWorK server groupID is wwdata
webwork.apache2-config: The webwork url on this site is http://ourserver.tmcc.edu/webwork2
Syntax error on line 45 of /etc/apache2/conf.d/webwork.conf:
"has_aux_files" is not exported by the WeBWorK::Utils module\n "not_blank" is not exported by the WeBWorK::Utils module\nCan't continue after import errors at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/PGProblemEditor.pm line 35\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/PGProblemEditor.pm line 35.\nCompilation failed in require at (eval 1056) line 3.\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm line 85.\nCompilation failed in require at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/Apache/WeBWorK.pm line 35.\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/Apache/WeBWorK.pm line 35.\n\t(in cleanup) "has_aux_files" is not exported by the WeBWorK::Utils module\n "not_blank" is not exported by the WeBWorK::Utils module\nCan't continue after import errors at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/PGProblemEditor.pm line 35\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/PGProblemEditor.pm line 35.\nCompilation failed in require at (eval 1056) line 3.\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm line 85.\nCompilation failed in require at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/Apache/WeBWorK.pm line 35.\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/Apache/WeBWorK.pm line 35.\nCompilation failed in require at /etc/apache2/conf.d/webwork.conf line 96.\n
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Michael Gage -
This looks like the module WeBWorK/Utils did not get upgraded and/or that the apache server was not restarted after it was upgraded. Try those fixes first. Let us know if that fixes the problem.

If not we'll check the versions of Utils.pm

-- Mike

In reply to Michael Gage

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Mike,

This one is fixed. For some reason, the Utils directory must have been corrupted. I wiped it out and updated again, and apache now restarts without errors. Also, the first error I reported when entering a set is gone.

The web server has the right permissions in the courses and courses.html directories, so I'm still not sure what is going on with the images directory not being created.

Thanks for your help.
Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Michael Gage -
check to see if the webserver browser had permission to add the directory html/images. I believe that webwork is set up to create the file
html/images if it does not exist.

If all of the courses have been created and are owned by the webserver then this issue should not arise, but sometimes courses have been created manually.

In reply to Michael Gage

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Mike,

The permissions in the course directory are these:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 jensen wwdata 3729 2005-10-03 10:10 course.conf
drwxrwsr-x 4 jensen wwdata 4096 2009-12-23 21:41 DATA
drwxrwsr-x 3 jensen wwdata 4096 2011-01-05 00:02 html
drwxrwsr-x 2 jensen wwdata 4096 2006-10-22 11:12 logs
drwxrwsr-x 2 jensen wwdata 4096 2005-10-03 10:10 scoring
drwxrwsr-x 5 jensen wwdata 4096 2009-12-23 21:41 templates

and in the html directory:

drwxrwsr-x 2 www-data wwdata 4096 2011-01-05 00:02 tmp

and the webserver is a member of the wwdata group. So the permissions should allow directories to be created by the webserver.

Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Lars Jensen -
Hi Mike,

The only remaining issue seems to be that the html/images directories are not created. Were you able to confirm whether this have to do with Utils.pm or something else?

Lars.